20,000 Afghan Refugees Coming To The Uk.

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Oh, ... I'm very sorry about that. How mortifying to have made the mistake of thinking you were objecting to community diversity when it was mixed land use you were objecting to.

Strange though, HumbleNarrator who you quoted was concerned with where Afghan refugees were going to be relocated to. Still it's nice to hear that you have abandoned your former concerns over Muslims (after your first paragraph) and having put that behind are now so deeply engaged in questions of town planning (beginning of your second paragraph). Good on you and please accept my apologies for the (newly) unfounded accusations contained in my last post.

Apologies accepted.

My post was clear. I was talking about the legitimate and challenging need for housing for refugees and immigrants, and a response to the poster who noted the wealthier residents of Sheffield. These are folks who have large residential properties in neighborhoods that exclude, and fight against high density residential housing for the homeless, poor, immigrants and refugees, and the social services necessary to assist them.

The largest immigrant groups to the U.K. in the last few years have been from Eastern Europe. Poland. in particular. The few hundred Afghani refugees, expected from this latest Middle East situation that would make it's way to Sheffield from the total, would be almost unnoticeable. All 20,000 are not clamoring to live in Sheffield. (You just aren't that special, Lol)

I was contemplating the future, where, such large disparities between the rich areas of Sheffield, and the public housing needed for the immigrants, refugees and homegrown poor and homeless families, would be allowed to exist, in your progressive, egalitarian society.

There may come a day when the Peak District is used for more humanitarian purposes, than a Sunday drive, or a nice place show off your JJ Bean hiking gear and hat, or walk your designer dogs.

Matter of fact, the example I gave that distressed me most was the total obliteration of the Gleadless Valley Paradise, I knew as a child. And that was built for the needs of white Brits, not immigrant families.

How long before those nice Whirlow and Ecclesall Woods are seen as just bourgeois luxurious views for the few privileged enclaves, in a progressive society?

Will there really be a sign, "Fox House Flats, sister development of Parkhill Flats" with wide sweeping majestic views of dynamic Sheffield in the distance?

I have seen the past, and I am just contemplating the future.

Edited by trastrick

10 hours ago, trastrick said:

Apologies accepted.

My post was clear. I was talking about the legitimate and challenging need for housing for refugees and immigrants, and a response to the poster who noted the wealthier residents of Sheffield. These are folks who have large residential properties in neighborhoods that exclude, and fight against high density residential housing for the homeless, poor, immigrants and refugees, and the social services necessary to assist them.

The largest immigrant groups to the U.K. in the last few years have been from Eastern Europe. Poland. in particular. The few hundred Afghani refugees, expected from this latest Middle East situation that would make it's way to Sheffield from the total, would be almost unnoticeable. All 20,000 are not clamoring to live in Sheffield. (You just aren't that special, Lol)

I was contemplating the future, where, such large disparities between the rich areas of Sheffield, and the public housing needed for the immigrants, refugees and homegrown poor and homeless families, would be allowed to exist, in your progressive, egalitarian society.

There may come a day when the Peak District is used for more humanitarian purposes, than a Sunday drive, or a nice place show off your JJ Bean hiking gear and hat, or walk your designer dogs.

Matter of fact, the example I gave that distressed me most was the total obliteration of the Gleadless Valley Paradise, I knew as a child. And that was built for the needs of white Brits, not immigrant families.

How long before those nice Whirlow and Ecclesall Woods are seen as just bourgeois luxurious views for the few privileged enclaves, in a progressive society?

Will there really be a sign, "Fox House Flats, sister development of Parkhill Flats" with wide sweeping majestic views of dynamic Sheffield in the distance?

I have seen the past, and I am just contemplating the future.

Gleadless Valley is a tragedy, The council are more interest in painting multi colour crossing areas and daft obstacles on Pinstone Street than sorting out the toss pots they have settled on the Gleadless Valley , The points you and others make in spreading these problems around the City are valid , why should certain areas be prime targets to house people who have no intention of blending in with their long established neighbours , I have lived on the Valley and loved the place but had to flit when found our selves surrounded by utter ****es .  I would point out that the biggest culprits are not immigrants although some chuck rubbish around the estate but white English who have no intention of working and are into drugs ,burglary and car stealing , One family was notorious near us and the council officers just said that THEY had a lot of problems , so bugger you lot .

Edited by cuttsie

59 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Gleadless Valley is a tragedy, The council are more interest in painting multi colour crossing areas and daft obstacles on Pinstone Street than sorting out the toss pots they have settled on the Gleadless Valley , The points you and others make in spreading these problems around the City are valid , why should certain areas be prime targets to house people who have no intention of blending in with their long established neighbours , I have lived on the Valley and loved the place but had to flit when found our selves surrounded by utter ****es .  I would point out that the biggest culprits are not immigrants although some chuck rubbish around the estate but white English who have no intention of working and are into drugs ,burglary and car stealing , One family was notorious near us and the council officers just said that THEY had a lot of problems , so bugger you lot .

It's a similar story at the tall flats area at Stannington. Every other day there is a "Police incident" of some sort there. It never used to be like that around there.

I live at S12 but prior to that I lived on the Valley for 13 years. There are families there who have lived there since the estate was built and through the generations have stayed on the Valley. The fact is that every property handed to immigrants is a property less for the kids of the original residents. Residents whose ancestors taxes will have paid for the estate to be built. Not to say I’m completely against migration but I am against the thoughtless destruction of existing communities as a result of it. Also just to point out, some years ago I read a full page article in our own Star that was written by the then head of City of Sanctuary. She gushed on about how welcoming Sheffield folk are, etc. At the end of the article it noted that she lived in Edale. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

I live at S12 but prior to that I lived on the Valley for 13 years. There are families there who have lived there since the estate was built and through the generations have stayed on the Valley. The fact is that every property handed to immigrants is a property less for the kids of the original residents. Residents whose ancestors taxes will have paid for the estate to be built. Not to say I’m completely against migration but I am against the thoughtless destruction of existing communities as a result of it. Also just to point out, some years ago I read a full page article in our own Star that was written by the then head of City of Sanctuary. She gushed on about how welcoming Sheffield folk are, etc. At the end of the article it noted that she lived in Edale. Just saying.

Thats a familiar story , They all spout how we should live on the estates , while usually living elsewhere and now cuddling up with the Green Party who in fact are just the same in disguise . Most of the local M.Ps are incomers who are hand picked by party head quarters and shipped in to represent a City who they know nothing about , the day of the working class politician be it local or national has gone we now have clones from the middle classes who think Manual Labour is a Spanish waiter.

Let's welcome them in Sheffield!

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Most of the local M.Ps are incomers who are hand picked by party head quarters and shipped in to represent a City who they know nothing about , the day of the working class politician be it local or national has gone.

It's only gone because you choose to let it be gone.  If you want to change it then you and some like-minded people need to get involved in whatever local party floats your political boat and make the case for a local candidate. If you get enough people involved you should be able to force the selection of a local candidate and face down the national hierarchy should they try and impose a candidate. 

Though, before you reject a non-local infavour of a local at least consider who stands the best chance of winning.  

4 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Also just to point out, some years ago I read a full page article in our own Star that was written by the then head of City of Sanctuary. She gushed on about how welcoming Sheffield folk are, etc. At the end of the article it noted that she lived in Edale. Just saying.

You couldn't make it up could you?! 

"Most of the local M.Ps are incomers who are hand picked by party head quarters and shipped in ..."

A quick look and 4 are Sheffield born.

One has worked in the City for over 30 years.

The other worked in the City as a councilor before becoming an MP.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought it was worthwhile raising awareness for those who have watched the terrible scenes in Afghanistan of how they can help refugees who may be placed in our city. 

I'll post a couple of links:

ASSIST Sheffield |

Afghanistan - How You Can Help Guide | City of Sanctuary Sheffield

Edited by Mister M

13 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

It's only gone because you choose to let it be gone.  If you want to change it then you and some like-minded people need to get involved in whatever local party floats your political boat and make the case for a local candidate. If you get enough people involved you should be able to force the selection of a local candidate and face down the national hierarchy should they try and impose a candidate. 

Though, before you reject a non-local infavour of a local at least consider who stands the best chance of winning.  

Excellent point.

The Party apparatchik  decides who gets the financial support, media exposure and Party resources , and volunteers, needed to run a successful campaign. They would run a monkey, if they thought it could win.

It's all about power!

42 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Excellent point.

The Party apparatchik  decides who gets the financial support, media exposure and Party resources , and volunteers, needed to run a successful campaign. They would run a monkey, if they thought it could win.

It's all about power!

of course it is, whats the point of running if you dont want power?