City Taxis Or Uber?

Not sure what is happening with City,  not turned up three times now, today carer booked it, it said it had arrived (but it hadn't) in fact they said they had record of it! I have some disabilities , and have priority, but they don't seem to be following it. I also think they now use a call centre, which may explain errors, but also i can't always hear the dispatcher.

Apparently the reduced availability of Uber and more frequent surge pricing is partly due to a number of drivers leaving Uber in favour of Bolt who have just expanded into Sheffield.

Yeah, I agree with this but still, you can't get a Bolt either! I got one and then received a message that my next 10 rides would be half price.

I think now they've decided to be unavailable until my cheap rides offer expires 😁

city taxis everytime as they invest in the city and help fund events/causes ect

well lets hope that improves,when they come to our event and others,but not for the past 2 years due to covid,they have there top people talking about problems,but that is no good for you now,

On 03/10/2021 at 22:29, Andy C said:

Apparently the reduced availability of Uber and more frequent surge pricing is partly due to a number of drivers leaving Uber in favour of Bolt who have just expanded into Sheffield.

Seen some of the uber taxis that have stickers for both uber and bolt on,  noticed this more in last few weeks.

Guest makapaka
On 04/10/2021 at 15:36, bassett one said:

city taxis everytime as they invest in the city and help fund events/causes ect

This.

Pre- booked with City App last night as we had the chance of a rare night out and wanted to be on time for a restaurant reservation.  Ten minutes after the time I had booked for, the app was still apparently "looking for a driver". Gave up and eventually got an uber after 3 attempts with the app.

Is pre-booking not actually a thing any more? Was I naive to think that by requesting a taxi 2 hours in advance,  it might actually turn up roughly when I wanted it? If I had phoned 2 hours in advance instead,  would that have been any different? What about if I had been trying to get to the train station or to the hospital? Strikes me as being a pretty poor way of running a service!

I booked an Uber 1 hour in advance, and with 5 minutes, got a message that no driver was available. Went back on Uber app requesting an immediate booking, and got one virtually straight away. 

In general, the number of car icons on the Uber app live map thing seems to be less than pre-covid

Edited by Bargepole23

On 04/10/2021 at 10:23, In Uppers said:

Yeah, I agree with this but still, you can't get a Bolt either! I got one and then received a message that my next 10 rides would be half price.

I think now they've decided to be unavailable until my cheap rides offer expires 😁

I've used Bolt twice now with discount applied. I'm struggling to get used to their app though (probably doesn't help I've usually had a drink!), sometimes if you keep trying it comes up with available instead of busy!

Edited by Andy C

On 17/10/2021 at 17:57, bluecanary said:

Pre- booked with City App last night as we had the chance of a rare night out and wanted to be on time for a restaurant reservation.  Ten minutes after the time I had booked for, the app was still apparently "looking for a driver". Gave up and eventually got an uber after 3 attempts with the app.

Is pre-booking not actually a thing any more? Was I naive to think that by requesting a taxi 2 hours in advance,  it might actually turn up roughly when I wanted it? If I had phoned 2 hours in advance instead,  would that have been any different? What about if I had been trying to get to the train station or to the hospital? Strikes me as being a pretty poor way of running a service!

Pre-booking never was a thing- all that happens is that 10 minutes before the booking, your job is put on the system for available drivers to take; if there are no available drivers, it won't get taken.

Booking 2 hrs, or 2 days, in advance would make no difference.

For some reason, City have become considerably worse than they previously were- on days/times that previously would have had jobs taken within 5 minutues, it is now taking 20+ minutes; to the extent that I've virtually ceased using taxis as it is often quicker to walk.

I've also spoken to drivers who say they've turned up for a job and the customer has been waiting an hour, with the driver having been sat parked up waiting for a job to appear on the system for the past hour also.