City Taxis Or Uber?

Pre-pandemic, I used to use City Taxis quite often. It's been a while so have tried both online and mobile apps and it hasn't been seamless. Partly because of a new City Taxis app and new registration and a bug in their app. With Uber I wanted to change my email address, it was easier to delete the account and start again. Finally sorted.

In people's experience who offers the best coverage in Sheffield? My past experience with City Taxis was perfect, which is what you need when you have a train to catch.

I've found recently it is taking ages to actually get an Uber and the cost seems to have gone up!

I'm thinking to try City Taxis again, before I thought their app wasn't great but willing to give it another go. 

From what I remember of the old app, the new City Taxis app has improved. I did find a bug with the prebook button not working if you're shuffling around menus so had stop and start the app.

For this pre-booking I'll stick with City Taxis and see how they go.

City has been fine, stopped using the app, just call them.

top company city taxis,shop local in my mind

32 minutes ago, bassett one said:

top company city taxis,shop local in my mind

I would hardly call City Taxis a local firm anymore, they have swallowed up numerous firms and have a presence in 6 towns and cities now. Its like saying Boots the Chemist are a local firm in Nottingham.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I am always surprised to see a question like this why look elsewhere if you have always had a perfect experience somewhere yes if you have had problems or feel they are no longer price competitive then may be a worth looking around.

Not many service companies can boast of customers praising them for always offering a perfect service

5 hours ago, dutch said:

I do the same as the above poster. Just call them on the phone. Have never let me down yet.

6 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

I am always surprised to see a question like this why look elsewhere if you have always had a perfect experience somewhere yes if you have had problems or feel they are no longer price competitive then may be a worth looking around.

Not many service companies can boast of customers praising them for always offering a perfect service

I didn't feel it was unreasonable to ask people's recent experience of both services, as I said, I last used them pre-pandemic so I've no idea how the service compares nearly 2 years later.  

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would hardly call City Taxis a local firm anymore, they have swallowed up numerous firms and have a presence in 6 towns and cities now. Its like saying Boots the Chemist are a local firm in Nottingham.

I'm sure I saw Northern City Taxis when I was looking for the new app. Their old app gave no clues to its replacement, you could plan the journey and then when you click book, it would say "server error".

Hopefully being swallowed up by a bigger parent company hasn't changed a service that seemed to work well.

On 16/08/2021 at 09:07, SFBeca said:

I've found recently it is taking ages to actually get an Uber and the cost seems to have gone up!

I'm thinking to try City Taxis again, before I thought their app wasn't great but willing to give it another go. 

Not just me then, when I've recently tried uber it was going to be half an hour before they could get me a taxi and best part of 20 pounds for a 10 minute journey.  Then it came up saying no drivers in your area.

On 16/08/2021 at 09:51, dutch said:

Eureeka! Oh for the days when things could be done simply by using the phone and talking to someone, instead of having to give all your personal information away struggling online....

There's little difference in booking international flight or local taxi online.

Edited by dutch