Who Needs A Gun?

23 hours ago, cuttsie said:

The people in our woods are not kids ,apart from that , me thinks thow protest to much .

Perhaps.  I've used firearms for many years in my working life, and used them for sport and pest control for decades.   That gives me a vested interest in controls remaining reasonable, and I find it necessary to offer clarity and objective fact those who make subjective assumptions and sweeping statements about firearms and firearm control when they do so from a position of ignorance.

11 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Perhaps.  I've used firearms for many years in my working life, and used them for sport and pest control for decades.   That gives me a vested interest in controls remaining reasonable, and I find it necessary to offer clarity and objective fact those who make subjective assumptions and sweeping statements about firearms and firearm control when they do so from a position of ignorance.

Quite right, the less some folk know of a subject to more they appear to pontificate about it.

2 hours ago, Caswall said:

So what bothers you is the emotive issue around guns being dangerous 'by design', rather than them being statistically relevant compared, for example to cars and knives.  

Yes, some 'illegal guns' start life as legal guns, but a very high proportion of illegal guns enter this country through the tunnel - and no level of punitive legislation against law-abiding firearms owners will affect that.

30 is a handful.  It's a tiny number out of a population of over 60 million, and in my view (which i'm sure differs from yours) is small enough to be irrelevant.   Of those 30 or so a year, in most years most if not all are killed by unlicensed guns that have been brought into the country solely for criminal use - and would not in any way be controlled by legislation.

I'd rather see people get upset about the thousands of deaths from illegal drug use, and seek harsher punishment and sentencing of drug users and sellers, or greater efforts to address the 78000 smoking related deaths we have each year - but hey, they don't involve nasty scary emotive guns, so let's focus on those 30 firearms deaths and take away guns from legitimate law-abiding pest controllers and sportsmen because you don't like guns.

how can firing a gun be a sport?????.

33 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The same as shooting an arrow or throwing a javelin, football derives from mob violence, come think of it now’t changes there.

On 22/08/2021 at 16:25, cuttsie said:

Perhaps you might ask the National Rifle Association, or the National Smallbore Rifle Association, or the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association;  they may have answers for you.

If you choose to ignore their views, you might ask the Olympic Committee, or the Commonwealth Games Committee, or UK  Sport.

Unless, of course you think you know more about the subject than any or all of those organisations, or the hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy shooting sports. 

Edited by Caswall

This thread has more than run it’s course, from the Plymouth murders to the legitimacy of Olympic shooting contests, time to close it IMHO.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

More bad news

Leaked Guntrader firearms data file shared.
Worst case scenario? Criminals plot UK gun owners' home addresses in Google Earth

https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/31/guntrader_breach_csv_danger/

From that article:

Guntrader has not explained why it was collecting location coordinates down to six decimal places.

If anybody needs an example of why you shouldn't allow companies to collect information about you without a very good reason to do so this is it. If the the security settings of all your browsers/devices aren't set to block requests for location unless expicitly allowed for a particular site/app then change them.

This ay have already been said, but what has "need" got to do with anything? many gun enthusiasts want to have them.

On 24/08/2021 at 12:25, crookesey said:

This thread has more than run it’s course, from the Plymouth murders to the legitimacy of Olympic shooting contests, time to close it IMHO.

People like you are the reason the forum nearly died in its previous incarnation.

Discussions broaden.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

2 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

This ay have already been said, but what has "need" got to do with anything? many gun enthusiasts want to have them.

Some petrol heads want to drive on public roads at speeds well in excess of the speed limit.

Rapists want to have sex with their victim.

Do they need to?

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

Some petrol heads want to drive on public roads at speeds well in excess of the speed limit.

Rapists want to have sex with their victim.

Do they need to?

You must have known a s you were typing that out that those things are not only illegal but immoral.