Who Needs A Gun?

15 hours ago, ab6262 said:

there are also different guns for game and for clays, god forbid using a 32 for game!

What's a '32' ?

4 hours ago, Mossway said:

What's a '32' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_caliber

Ladies’ handbag stuff.

I’m partial to 8x57 JRS myself, in an over-under combo with a 12 bore. Those boars take some stopping I’ll tell you.

6 minutes ago, L00b said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_caliber

Ladies’ handbag stuff.

I’m partial to 8x57 JRS myself, in an over-under combo with a 12 bore. Those boars take some stopping I’ll tell you.

Thanks,

I shot a wild boar in c 1976 in Germany using a 7mm 'drilling' ie an over and under with a rifled barrel on the top and a 12 smooth barrel underneath in which I'd got a 'brenneke' which is a 'slug' with vanes on so it spins giving it a bit of accuracy. I got the boar with the 7mm. We did eat most of it but  gave some of it away.

I’ve been back near Germany for 3 years, and taken up hunting again, on my old familiar grounds.

Very familiar with your post, and brennekes indeed 🙂

Your 7mm was probably 7x57 (.284”). I use the full-fat 8 (.323”, 7.92mm).

Specific license required for either of those calibres, of course. Not so for smooth bores, however, but that’s only down to local laws.

Edited by L00b

I had a Jagdschein which appeared to allow me to own and use whatever I liked. It was governed by the then Status of Forces Agreement which meant I didn't have to sit the 'Prüfung' !

The Hardened Aircraft Shelters (HAS) had at the rear a kind of inverted u shaped concrete blast wall which was filled with sand. The rabbits loved these. With ferrets we could often get 20 to 30 rabbits on a longish Saturday morning.

Happy Days !

Over my neck of the woods, until around the late 80s and the end of the Cold War, some of the longer-serving local constabulary may well have had an idea of who-likely-had-what-stashed-where-ish…But they never did anything about it, save for checking the validity of our “permis de chasse” (hunting license (-subject to exam passes), per your reference to the German Prüfung) every now and then, for keeping up appearances.

Nudge-nudge, wink-wink job: those Commie Russians could be coming any day and reach Brittany within 48 hours of crossing the Fulda gap, see…so for people to have weapons stashed just-in-case, was seen as a ‘good’ thing 😉

That ended, of course, with authorities running one amnesty after the other over the last 2-3 decades, and younger (inheriting-) generations not into hunting or plinking, just handing masses of firearms over. That’s been a good  thing, in fairness: after 3 conflicts in 70 years in the area, there really was still an awful lot of that stuff in attics, nooks and crannies. Not anymore.

Possibly the biggest social issue over firearms over here, is police personnel committing suicide with their service weapon, rather than psych/head cases going on a gun rampage as in Plymouth, or Dunblane before.

Edited by L00b

On 15/08/2021 at 11:22, horribleblob said:

An early radio report I heard said his gun and licence were returned to him after he'd attended and completed an anger management course.

Ahh, a tick box exercise, thats OK then, im sure that fixed him!!!

Oh, hang on.....

People need guns like people need cars.  You really don't need a car.

Cue bullcrap excused why you think you need a car.

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  People also don't need football.  96 football fans died at Hillsborough as a consequence of the drunken  behaviour of a minority of Liverpool football fans.  

You need to sue that troll school that you went to.

Surely they taught you not to be so obvious.

4 hours ago, alchemist said:

Ahh, a tick box exercise, thats OK then, im sure that fixed him!!!

Oh, hang on.....

Quite so.

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

Quantum mechanics, the Glaswegian accent, German jokes - the gales of laughter come at completely unexpected moments, the plays of Samuel Beckett, instruction manuals written by Chinese people not fully fluent in English but not guns. I want guns banned even though I understand them.

I might agree with you on most of those, but why guns (especially if you understand them)?

1 minute ago, Caswall said:

I might agree with you on most of those, but why guns (especially if you understand them)?

Because they are far too dangerous for all but incredibly restricted usage even if safely handled 99.9% of time.