Stones Bitter On Draft.

If that is the reason, it would be interesting to see how  the income of relavant breweries were affected. 

Unless the ex Stones drinkers began drinking whatever  replaced stones bitter, and at the same quantity, the brewery may have shot themselves in the foot.  

Quite a while back, it was often reported in news articles that one pub every week was closing. 

On 14/11/2021 at 01:05, Janus said:

I've never understood the mentality of those at the brewery responsible for  (guilty of) changing or ending the brewing of  beers, that have been popular with so many people. 

I understand a lot of this thread is about Stones bitter, and many enjoyed that beer. It was the same maybe some year earlier with John Smiths magnet that got axed.

Nobody at the brewery will have had any influence over the decision,  when the Stones brewery was closed they were owned by Bass Charrington, all the decisions are made by accountants and smart arse whizzkids who have no idea how to brew beer...a product they probably don't even drink themselves. They don't care a jot for local tastes or traditions and would shut the lot at the drop of a hat if it would make a quick buck...as happened to Wards. At the time of Ward's closure I spoke to the Head Brewer who told me that they had put £5.5 million into the parent company pot that year...and it wasnt considered enough to stop them shutting it and selling the site.

Edited by sadbrewer

Not read the rest of this thread, but they had Stones on draught at the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow last neet... I didn't try it... went for the Acorn Gold and Belgian Blue. 

19 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Plenty of pubs doing well selling decent beer. The *trad* pubs with carling and john smiths are struggling as you can buy generic beer so much cheaper in the supermarket.

On 14/11/2021 at 01:05, Janus said:

I've never understood the mentality of those at the brewery responsible for  (guilty of) changing or ending the brewing of  beers, that have been popular with so many people. 

I understand a lot of this thread is about Stones bitter, and many enjoyed that beer. It was the same maybe some year earlier with John Smiths magnet that got axed.

I still get a pint of magnet or two (or three or four) from a couple of W.M.C's in Sheffield. The best pint of magnet I have had in years is at The Furnace pub in Hoyland, next to the fishing ponds I frequent. A bit pricey but a beautiful pint.

8 hours ago, lakerman said:

I still get a pint of magnet or two (or three or four) from a couple of W.M.C's in Sheffield. The best pint of magnet I have had in years is at The Furnace pub in Hoyland, next to the fishing ponds I frequent. A bit pricey but a beautiful pint.

The Magnet you're drinking now is not brewed by John Smith's, for the last 14/15 years it's been contract brewed by Cameron's in Hartlepool, at the time, I was selling John Smith's beers ( amongst others) and to be honest it was better from Cameron's than what had been coming out of Tadcaster.

As to The Furnace at Milton, that was a great Ward's pub for most of it's life, I was a regular there for quite a few years.

Back in late 80s/90s, we frequented Pebley Inn near Killamarsh which  served a really good Stones bitter; at that time the pub was run by a landlady.

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

The Magnet you're drinking now is not brewed by John Smith's, for the last 14/15 years it's been contract brewed by Cameron's in Hartlepool, at the time, I was selling John Smith's beers ( amongst others) and to be honest it was better from Cameron's than what had been coming out of Tadcaster.

As to The Furnace at Milton, that was a great Ward's pub for most of it's life, I was a regular there for quite a few years.

Funnily enough Cameron’s brew a beer called steamer smooth which is closest thing I’ve had to the old stones and a nice pint.

Head of steam in town sell it.

20 hours ago, lakerman said:

Has it been reintroduced as a slightly different 'recipe' to what it was in the 80s ?

For a short while the reinvented magnet appeared at a Spoons in Rotherham. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I tried it-just a half  and it was nothing like the original. No interest.

On 24/11/2021 at 14:01, Janus said:

Has it been reintroduced as a slightly different 'recipe' to what it was in the 80s ?

For a short while the reinvented magnet appeared at a Spoons in Rotherham. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I tried it-just a half  and it was nothing like the original. No interest.

It's certainly not like it was some years ago, or do we seem to think things were better in the old days? It is obviously not as strong as in years gone by. Maybe that's one of the reasons.

The Birley has stones. 

Great pint it is too👍👍