Stones Bitter On Draft.

6 hours ago, GabrielC said:

I do miss the Cannon .😈😂😂

I could tell a tale or two about that place, which had clientele who's supply chain of goods from Christmas Trees to TV sets would rival nearby Argos or Castle House any day!

11 hours ago, makapaka said:

Stones is on in Walkley cottage.

brilliant beer / lager choice in there to be fair.

Thats it then Walkley Cottage with Rosy and the boys .

Part 1.Free flow Stones.This is not the 60s and 70s "Electric" beer where outsized glasses were in use to allow for a decent head (collar).

Places I've drank Stones on draft in recent times.

The Birley  Frecheville
Hollin Bush  Hollinsend
Norfolk Arms Dixon Lane
The Byron    Nether Edge
Hammer & Pincers Bents Green
Whittington WMC
Staveley Miners Welfare
Carlton Club  Gleadless Townend
Hare & Hounds Dore.

Cans of Stones can be bought at B&M stores and at Archer Rooad 
Beer Stop.

This free flow Stones stuff does taste similar the Stones beer of the past. I was told the above beer is brewed in the Blackburn area. I've now been informed its brewed in Burton-on-Trent. Although similar in taste it does have one vital Ingredient missing ...Sheffield water. Also Stones was 4.1% now its 3.7% in strength.

Part 2.Hand-drawn(hand-pulled)Stones.

This is a different Stones beer.I believe its brewed in the Neepsend area. Brewed by True North Brew Co. Please google this company. I don't like this version of Stones. It tastes nothing like the Stones mentioned in part 1. I went with friends in The York at Broomhill prior to the latest lockdown. I saw a beer pump with the original Stones badge attached and I promptly ordered(requested)a pint of it. When the pint was brought to the table we were sat at I took a good gulp of the expensive pint. The beer tasted bland to say the least. I immediately regretted not having asked for a small taster before ordering the pint. It tasted nowt like the free flow Stones I've had elsewhere - Burton-on-Trent version. Always ask for a taster.

Some pubs owned by True North Brew Co:

Punchball Crookes
Old Grindstone Crookes
British Oak Mos'boro
Waggon & Hosses Millhouses
Old House Division Street
Norfolk Arms Grenoside
Horse & Jockey Wadsley
Broadfield Abbeydale Road
and some others.

I'm not claiming to having been mislead by this bland beer that doesn't taste like the Stones of old, but it does seem strange that the original Stones badge was attached to the beer pump. If any of you fancy drinking and dining at a True North Brew pub, take your cheque book with ya!

I had impression the person who started this thread is a Barnsley supporter. In that case I thought he would be looking for Barnsley Best Bitter...on DRAUGHT! lol.

They've got Stones on at the Wadsley Jack at Wisewood...

On 29/09/2021 at 11:50, zakes said:

Part 1.Free flow Stones.This is not the 60s and 70s "Electric" beer where outsized glasses were in use to allow for a decent head (collar).

Places I've drank Stones on draft in recent times.

The Birley  Frecheville
Hollin Bush  Hollinsend
Norfolk Arms Dixon Lane
The Byron    Nether Edge
Hammer & Pincers Bents Green
Whittington WMC
Staveley Miners Welfare
Carlton Club  Gleadless Townend
Hare & Hounds Dore.

Cans of Stones can be bought at B&M stores and at Archer Rooad 
Beer Stop.

This free flow Stones stuff does taste similar the Stones beer of the past. I was told the above beer is brewed in the Blackburn area. I've now been informed its brewed in Burton-on-Trent. Although similar in taste it does have one vital Ingredient missing ...Sheffield water. Also Stones was 4.1% now its 3.7% in strength.

Part 2.Hand-drawn(hand-pulled)Stones.

This is a different Stones beer.I believe its brewed in the Neepsend area. Brewed by True North Brew Co. Please google this company. I don't like this version of Stones. It tastes nothing like the Stones mentioned in part 1. I went with friends in The York at Broomhill prior to the latest lockdown. I saw a beer pump with the original Stones badge attached and I promptly ordered(requested)a pint of it. When the pint was brought to the table we were sat at I took a good gulp of the expensive pint. The beer tasted bland to say the least. I immediately regretted not having asked for a small taster before ordering the pint. It tasted nowt like the free flow Stones I've had elsewhere - Burton-on-Trent version. Always ask for a taster.

Some pubs owned by True North Brew Co:

Punchball Crookes
Old Grindstone Crookes
British Oak Mos'boro
Waggon & Hosses Millhouses
Old House Division Street
Norfolk Arms Grenoside
Horse & Jockey Wadsley
Broadfield Abbeydale Road
and some others.

I'm not claiming to having been mislead by this bland beer that doesn't taste like the Stones of old, but it does seem strange that the original Stones badge was attached to the beer pump. If any of you fancy drinking and dining at a True North Brew pub, take your cheque book with ya!

I had impression the person who started this thread is a Barnsley supporter. In that case I thought he would be looking for Barnsley Best Bitter...on DRAUGHT! lol.

Notts County

On 15/08/2021 at 21:28, lakerman said:

Being a regular supporter of the Owls I always used to have a pint of Smiths inside Hillsborough on match days. That was pre lockdown. However, when I went to the game on Saturday I noticed they were not selling Smiths but had Stones instead. I thought I would try it and was very pleased to find it was a very good pint. So maybe you could nip along there to the next home game and have a nice pint as well as watching the Owls.

There's more chance of Lord Lucan riding Shergar in the Butlins Donkey Derby than him going there.😁😀😅😂.

43 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

There's more chance of Lord Lucan riding Shergar in the Butlins Donkey Derby than him going there.😁😀😅😂.

I may go to Meadow Lane a ground I know very well . You see I am not a one trick pony I spread my togga interest around .

4 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I may go to Meadow Lane a ground I know very well . You see I am not a one trick pony I spread my togga interest around .

Do they serve Stooooooenses at Notts County?.

Edited by Alextopman

Two more pubs Ive recently visited that sell the Burton on Trent version of Stones. The Travellers at Apperknowle, and Miners Arms(a hidden gem)in Hundall, just down the road from The Travellers.

The Devonshire in nearby Middle Handley sold Stones in the 70s. I seem to remember this pub was covered in ivy all those years ago, but I could be wrong. The Devonshire does a decent pint of John Smith's. All three pubs have a wide array of Real ales and serve food. A decent pub crawl for cyclists.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never understood the mentality of those at the brewery responsible for  (guilty of) changing or ending the brewing of  beers, that have been popular with so many people. 

I understand a lot of this thread is about Stones bitter, and many enjoyed that beer. It was the same maybe some year earlier with John Smiths magnet that got axed.

11 hours ago, Janus said:

I've never understood the mentality of those at the brewery responsible for  (guilty of) changing or ending the brewing of  beers, that have been popular with so many people. 

I understand a lot of this thread is about Stones bitter, and many enjoyed that beer. It was the same maybe some year earlier with John Smiths magnet that got axed.

Some of it is down to taxation. Less ABV = less tax.