Stones Bitter On Draft.

Any one know if there is a pub near the new Moor Market that still has Stones bitter on draft , I hate this so called real ale that seems to dominate every pub bar  these days  as it looks and tastes like canal basin watttter , so help req , where can one get a pint of Stoooooneses  jungle juice  near Moorfoot  .

You'll not get the old Stones what used to be sold in Sheffield Arms ect,like Wards it's gone.

As already said, old stones doesn't exist anymore. However, the Brewer at true north has rebrewed it from a recipe from one of the original Brewers, and it's sometimes available on cask in true north pubs. Nearest ones to the Moor Market are probably the old house and forum on devonshire Street 

He tweeted on 6th August that he'd brewed a fresh batch that day.

The pretentious ones from Neepsend - sorry - Kelham, who think the canal water tasting ale is trendy and fashionable call it "Victoria Quays"  Watter, along with calling birds custard "crème anglaise"

I was a fan of old Stones, best pint i had was in Leeds ironically, not that it helps with your question which i can't sorry, have you tried Bradfield brewery ales, i like farmers ale.

I will look out for the new stuff  from true north though look forward to trying it myself.

Edited by Arthur Ritus

sorry only stones i know of are in cans,used to love a good pint of stones at the yewtree coal aston years ago,but i am sure some others will have ideas,good luck

On 13/08/2021 at 19:31, cuttsie said:

Any one know if there is a pub near the new Moor Market that still has Stones bitter on draft , I hate this so called real ale that seems to dominate every pub bar  these days  as it looks and tastes like canal basin watttter , so help req , where can one get a pint of Stoooooneses  jungle juice  near Moorfoot  .

I know of several Working mens clubs that still sell Stones Bitter.  Sheffield Lane club, Firth Park WMC. to name just two.  Sorry but they are obviously not near the Moor Market.  I have always been a John Smiths man myself, Magnet being the best and in the last few years it has been John Smiths smooth.  Being a regular supporter of the Owls I always used to have a pint of Smiths inside Hillsborough on match days. That was pre lockdown. However, when I went to the game on Saturday I noticed they were not selling Smiths but had Stones instead. I thought I would try it and was very pleased to find it was a very good pint. So maybe you could nip along there to the next home game and have a nice pint as well as watching the Owls.

15 minutes ago, lakerman said:

I know of several Working mens clubs that still sell Stones Bitter.  Sheffield Lane club, Firth Park WMC. to name just two.  Sorry but they are obviously not near the Moor Market.  I have always been a John Smiths man myself, Magnet being the best and in the last few years it has been John Smiths smooth.  Being a regular supporter of the Owls I always used to have a pint of Smiths inside Hillsborough on match days. That was pre lockdown. However, when I went to the game on Saturday I noticed they were not selling Smiths but had Stones instead. I thought I would try it and was very pleased to find it was a very good pint. So maybe you could nip along there to the next home game and have a nice pint as well as watching the Owls.

Why spoil an afternoon drinking good beer by watching them  ?

Edited by hackey lad

The best pint of Stones back in the day was at the Devonshire at Middle Handley served by the legendary Tom Walker.

Best pint in Sheffield was the Hanover in Broomhall run by Fred and Edith Woodbine - and minded by Roz their big Alsatian - can't remember anywhere else with handpulled Stones back in the mid 70's.

On 14/08/2021 at 09:41, Arthur Ritus said:

The pretentious ones from Neepsend - sorry - Kelham, who think the canal water tasting ale is trendy and fashionable call it "Victoria Quays"  Watter, along with calling birds custard "crème anglaise"

I was a fan of old Stones, best pint i had was in Leeds ironically, not that it helps with your question which i can't sorry, have you tried Bradfield brewery ales, i like farmers ale.

I will look out for the new stuff  from true north though look forward to trying it myself.

Nail on the head regarding The invasion of Sheffields last bastion of true working class district by lovies in pink trousers .