A Good Easy Bread Recipe

Hello everyone. I want to make some bread but it always turn out wrong. Had anyone got a easy bread recipe I can use please?

Thank you. 

Soda bread is the quickest and easiest to make, because it doesn't need a lot of time- consuming kneading and proving. Maybe not quite as tasty asa  yeasty loaf, but very nice - and certainly much less of a faff to make. The recipe below works well for me. This makes 1 loaf - best eaten on day it's made.

170G/60Z PLAIN FLOUR and

170G/60Z WHOLEMEAL FLOUR

HALF A TEASPOON OF SALT

HALF A TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF SODA

190ML/10 FLUID OZ BUTTERMILK

(if you can't find buttermilk you can use half natural plain yoghurt mixed with half cold milk - but buttermilk is best)

Preheat oven to 200c/180 fan/Gas 6

Put the flours, salt and bicarb in a large bowl. Make well in the middle and add the buttermilk. Stir quickly with a metal fork to form a soft dough. If the dough is too stiff, add a little cold milk, but the dough should not be wet or sticky

Turn sough onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly, form into a round, then flatten slightly.

Put dough on a lightly floured baking sheet and cut a big cross on the top.

Bake in centre of oven for about 30 mins - until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

Cool on a wire rack.

enjoy.....

I’m going to have ago at making soda bread using this recipe.    I’ve made bread a few times in the past.  I had better results with dried yeast.  It didn’t turn out very well when I used fresh yeast.  

On the few occasion I've made proper bread with yeast. my loaves always turned out with the shape, weight and consistency of housebricks.My old mum was brilliant at making homemade loaves and breadcakes in her day and she always told me that I didn't knead the dough vigorously enough or for long enough. I find kneading really knackering and time-consuming, so I take the easier route these days and only ever make soda bread.... and I don't even make that very often!

On 15/08/2021 at 18:02, FIRETHORN1 said:

On the few occasion I've made proper bread with yeast. my loaves always turned out with the shape, weight and consistency of housebricks.My old mum was brilliant at making homemade loaves and breadcakes in her day and she always told me that I didn't knead the dough vigorously enough or for long enough. I find kneading really knackering and time-consuming, so I take the easier route these days and only ever make soda bread.... and I don't even make that very often!

I don’t think I had the patience when I made bread, it could be the kneading were I went wrong, I got fed up after a few minutes, but I have only made it a few times, so it could be more practice that was needed.  My Aunt use to make bread, the smell was lovely when it came out of the oven.  I think the smell was better than the taste, but it was nice bread. She made it look so easy, I think she found it therapeutic when she was kneading the dough.  She was probably thinking about her rascal of a husband when she was kneading away at it. 

Also my old neighbour and a very good friend was a lovely cook.  She use to make wholemeal bread cakes, she would give some each time she baked a batch. She used her top of the range food mixer to knead the dough, it had a dough hook on it.  She was making her own bread well into her 90’s. 

Over the winter months I might have another go at making bread also I will try your soda bread recipe, I do like to keep things simple. 

Now to give my next easy food project some though.