Jack Grealish. Costs £100 Million. Worth It?

30 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Makes me laugh when footballers on mega money are called brave and heroes!look at our doctors,carers,arm forces and a lot more for brave heroes.

They are on a hiding to nothing, if they make it big time they are despised by the hate brigade, however most don’t make it big and end up getting involved in local football, which is where I have befriended several of them. The one thing that both sectors have in common is the injuries/wear and tear that generally follows them into their none playing days.

On 06/08/2021 at 10:04, geared said:

Right now they're probably having second thoughts now Messi is on the market as a free agent.

Just read this:  PSG to pay Lionel Messi  €769,000 per week, Departing Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi, is set to earn a huge €40 million a year salary after tax at Paris Saint-Germain, L’Equipe reports.

So a player is earning more in one season than teams in the EFL are allowed to lose over 3 years, the game has gone crazy.

The demise of English/Welsh football has been discussed strongly since the appearance of the Premier League. 

I’m still waiting.

12 hours ago, iansheff said:

Just read this:  PSG to pay Lionel Messi  €769,000 per week, Departing Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi, is set to earn a huge €40 million a year salary after tax at Paris Saint-Germain, L’Equipe reports.

So a player is earning more in one season than teams in the EFL are allowed to lose over 3 years, the game has gone crazy.

Wait until Borussia Dortmund's Erling Braut Haaland, moves clubs.  He / his agent were asking for £1 million a week during last season, if he ends up at a Premiership club & the usual suspects are all intrested in him. 

The lad is a goal machine, (& a big unit, as they say), in Germany at the moment.  Scored a 25 min hat-trick today.  That's 60 goals in 60 games according to media reports. 

12 hours ago, crookesey said:

The demise of English/Welsh football has been discussed strongly since the appearance of the Premier League. 

I’m still waiting.

As I read today.  Kenny Dalglish's move from Celtic to Liverpool in 1977 cost £440,000. 

Adjusted for inflation, that figure today would be just £2,754,000.  Just shows how much money is spent by PL clubs these days. 

Edited by Baron99

Meh.

I really don't care how much they earn or where the money comes from as long as it doesn't come from my taxes.

That spiv at Tottenham got £30m from Harringay Council as part of the new stadium development. West Ham didn't pay the market rate for their new ground, neither did Manchester City.  Pay your players £20billion a second if you want but don't come running for bailouts and handouts whan it all goes tits up.

2 hours ago, taxman said:

I really don't care how much they earn or where the money comes from as long as it doesn't come from my taxes.

Comes out of everyones pockets in the end, in one way or another.

If it's not the crazy money that gets lashed out in sponsorship money, or the mad amounts paid for the TV rights.  All that money has gotta come from somewhere.

I remember a few years back Sky Sports would let you just pay for the particular sport you were interested in.  They dropped that pretty swiftly, clearly the amount they actually brought in wasn't covering what they were paying out.

1 hour ago, geared said:

Comes out of everyones pockets in the end, in one way or another.

If it's not the crazy money that gets lashed out in sponsorship money, or the mad amounts paid for the TV rights.  All that money has gotta come from somewhere.

I remember a few years back Sky Sports would let you just pay for the particular sport you were interested in.  They dropped that pretty swiftly, clearly the amount they actually brought in wasn't covering what they were paying out.

Doesn't come out of my pockets if I don't pay for it.

I know people get really upset about the money footballers get compared to cancer surgeons but billions of people across the globe do not subsribe to a pay to view Cancer Surgeon live stream event channel.

13 hours ago, taxman said:

I know people get really upset about the money footballers get compared to cancer surgeons but billions of people across the globe do not subsribe to a pay to view Cancer Surgeon live stream event channel.

👍 Good post.

16 hours ago, taxman said:

Well as long as you don't pay for anything off Sky, or BT, or Virgin, or Now TV, or Amazon.  or buy anything off any of the brands which pay money to sponsor the clubs.

Edited by geared

7 hours ago, geared said:

Well as long as you don't pay for anything off Sky, or BT, or Virgin, or Now TV, or Amazon.  or buy anything off any of the brands which pay money to sponsor the clubs.

Or have a bet.