Interior Wall Removal

Hey up, you  builders out there !

I am considering breaking through from the hallway into what was once the coal house to make a cupboard

The house was built circa 1934

What effect could this have on the staircase ?

I am presuming no effect thinking that the staircase is supported top and bottom and not by the brickwork underneath

Your comments appreciated, Thanks !

9 hours ago, Runningman said:

Hey up, you  builders out there !

I am considering breaking through from the hallway into what was once the coal house to make a cupboard

The house was built circa 1934

What effect could this have on the staircase ?

I am presuming no effect thinking that the staircase is supported top and bottom and not by the brickwork underneath

Your comments appreciated, Thanks !

strictly speaking any removal or structural change needs building regs and i would suggest it needs a lintel of some sort to replace the brickwork under the stair head.

Hi ab6262 and thanks for your reply

My intention is just to remove the side wall ( rectangular section ) and not the wall between the rear of the pantry and the coal house

I will only take out the necessary bricks to make the cupboard space and no more.

Further comments would be appreciated  i.e. advice re building regs.

No building experience or expert knowledge of any sort, but we had it done by a builder a few years ago and the staircase is still standing. We removed about 3/4 of the way along for storage. 

18 hours ago, Runningman said:

My intention is just to remove the side wall ( rectangular section ) and not the wall between the rear of the pantry and the coal house

I will only take out the necessary bricks to make the cupboard space and no more.

If you are leaving most of the wall in place, then the bricks above the hole would need supporting by an RSJ.

No experience of things like this, but quite a major operation for a DIY project?

Maybe others have done this, are there lots of houses of this type on your estate?

19 hours ago, Runningman said:

still say you need a lintel even a wooden one under the stair landing

Hi folks and thanks for your replies and advice !