My maternal grandmother, Marjory Quibell, had a corner shop in the 1950's on the part of Kent Road in Heeley that has been demolished and replaced with modern housing. I'd love to find out more about it...maybe find an old photo? Any help would be gratefully received.

3 hours ago, Sheff-curious said:

My maternal grandmother, Marjory Quibell, had a corner shop in the 1950's on the part of Kent Road in Heeley that has been demolished and replaced with modern housing. I'd love to find out more about it...maybe find an old photo? Any help would be gratefully received.

Not sure if these are in the right area.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17544&prevUrl=

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17545&prevUrl=

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s32461&prevUrl=

Edited by Jim Hardie

8 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

That's brought a few memories back, Jim!

The top two images mentioned are at the Gleadless Road end of Kent Road - you can just catch the corner of the Wagon & Horses pub on one of them.

The bottom image - corner of Rushdale and Kent - is now a private house by the looks of things, (courtesy of G Maps).

Lots of terraced jobs gone in that area, of course, but you can still find the odd "landmark" - The Victoria ("Roundhouse") for example!

For some reason, I've just recalled there was even a stonemason's yard on the corner of Carrfield Road and Gerard Street, before the old folks bungalows were built.

the wagon&horses is now a block of flats,but many outside features are still there,the round house is still a pub though

Aww! Thank you Jim. Kent Road is SOOOOO long isn't it!! The pictures are lovely to see but not quite the right area for where Gran's shop would have been. Having looked again I think it would have been on the corner of Nicholson or Cambridge Road.

Edited by Sheff-curious

The shop in question is probably the one on the corner of Nicholson Rd & Kent Rd opposite the former Salvation Army premises.

In the 1940's & 50's, it seemed to vary between being a private residence and a shop.

Some of my own family have also lived there before I was born.

There used to be a man called Peter who frequented this site and lived opposite the shop on Kent Road who may know more about this.

Is Peter still around?

I knew a youth  who ran the shop - from about  1966 - 1969 -  he rented it from 'Rowlinsons'  round the back ,  I think it was - but  had to cease trading as it was just losing money.