Police Officer Records

Can any one help me to find any trace of my grandfather's police service.  His name was John Hirst Hoult and he was a constable in the Sheffield force for most of his life, starting around 1900 retiring around 1938/39.

Hi John.  Have a look at the Sheffield Indexers site. You can post your question on there and I assure you that you will receive a response from some very helpful folks !

Thanks.  I'm a bit slow at this.  Where would I find the Indexers site?   Do I just Google it?

Try British Police History, I have used this organisation for my research in the past:

admin@british-police-history.uk

I have an old  photo of a relative in a police uniform whose name I was trying to find out, I forget who I mailed but was told would be hard to get the name to the number due to the Data Protection Act even though the picture must be going on 70 years old.

Looks like his Brother George was also a Sheffield City Police Officer...I noticed another PC Hoult retired in 1923...Father/Uncle/elder Brother?

That's very interesting.  John Hoult (my maternal grandfather did have a brother George, but I didn't know that he was also a police officer. 

from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17th December 1927:

On behalf of his colleagues, ex-Police-Constable George Hoult, who recently retired from the Sheffield force after 27 years service, was, at the Warrant Department, West Bar, Sheffield, yesterday afternoon, presented with a gold guard and medal by Chief Inspector Flower.

By 1939 he was working a a process server, somewhat related to his previous occupation.

Edited by TedW