Food From My Past

Living in Newcastle I also miss the Sheffield fishcake they don’t sell them in fish shops up here. Before lockdown last year I would visit Sheffield once a month so it wasn’t to bad.

When I lived in Sheffield and visited Newcastle I use to love going into a cafe and having a ham sandwich with pease pudding on a stottie cake, I still do. It’s nice how different parts of the UK have their own traditional food.

Yes Hauxwell - it's good that different regions are managing to hold on to their own local foods. I've never seen a Sheffield style fishcake anywhere except Sheffield - although I've also heard that they are available in Barnsley.  There's nowt like a proper Sheffield breadcake either. I've had baps and rolls, barm cakes and stottie cakes - all perfectly nice, but nowt like a proper, floury Sheffield breadcake... especially when slathered in that pork jelly dripping that you can still buy in many Sheffield butchers. I also miss tomato sausage and polony from when I was a kid.

On 02/08/2021 at 05:41, Rockers rule said:

Scotch Pies when they had proper Mutton in them not the vile, bland mush that's in them nowadays.

Used to get ours from a sandwich shop (no longer there) on Meadow St, Shalesmoor.

Probably one of the best sandwich shops in Sheffield, their Cheese & piccalilli sandwiches were to die for,

Crusty Bread cakes, & Piccalilli  overflowing out all over the place, Messy but good fun!

Ah, picalilli!

Coming home from the pictures when everybody was in bed Mum would leave out bread, butter, cheshire cheese and picalilli.

And if we were lucky a piece of pork pie!

As for school dinners, sago, tapioca, farinoca, and semolina pudding has been mentioned, but why no rice pudding?

Edited by trastrick

4 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Yes Hauxwell - it's good that different regions are managing to hold on to their own local foods. I've never seen a Sheffield style fishcake anywhere except Sheffield - although I've also heard that they are available in Barnsley. 

We can get them but have to ask for a Fish Scollop.

Pontifract  you have to ask for a Fish Patti.

Ask for a fish Cake and you get a Rissole in batter :confused:

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

And if we were lucky a piece of pork pie!

What happened to all the Jelly?

Finding a pork pie with Jelly in was becoming like finding the Holly Grail,

To the point I started making my own pork pies and boiling down Pigs feet for the Gelatin.

Pig's feet, Pigs Chaps & home made Brawn would have youngsters turning their noses up now a days.

When we first married Pigs Chaps would provide for at least 3 days worth of meals and sandwiches.

Stay safe,

Eat well.

5 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Yes Hauxwell - it's good that different regions are managing to hold on to their own local foods. I've never seen a Sheffield style fishcake anywhere except Sheffield - although I've also heard that they are available in Barnsley.  There's nowt like a proper Sheffield breadcake either. I've had baps and rolls, barm cakes and stottie cakes - all perfectly nice, but nowt like a proper, floury Sheffield breadcake... especially when slathered in that pork jelly dripping that you can still buy in many Sheffield butchers. I also miss tomato sausage and polony from when I was a kid.

The floury breadcakes are nice, don’t think I’ve had one for ages.  I remember going to a birthday party in a pub at Loxley, a relative of mine put a large plate of dripping breadcakes on the buffet. She bought the pork dripping in Lincoln, she said it was the best dripping she had tasted. I thought no one would touch them but how wrong I was.  People were saying how nice they tasted and asking each other if they had tried the dripping breadcakes. Most people said they didn’t eat dripping because of health reasons.  What’s that saying, eating bad foods in moderation doesn’t hurt you.

I use to go to a fish and chip shop in the centre of Barnsley because my mum liked their fish. They did a decent Sheffield fishcake, not the best I’ve tasted tho, but that was a few years ago.  

29 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Ask for a fish Cake and you get a Rissole in batter

Same here in Newcastle but without the batter.

12 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

..........What happened to all the Jelly?

Finding a pork pie with Jelly in was becoming like finding the Holly Grail,

To the point I started making my own pork pies and boiling down Pigs feet for the Gelatin........

As a pork pie aficionado, (addict?) who spent some time sampling the market in Sheffield, Derbyshire and Lincolnshire, I came to the conclusion that freshness is the main factor.

The M & S, Sainsbury, Tesco products have a long shelf life.

The best pork pies came from local butchers who sell them, still warm, before they have had a chance to dry out and all the juices disappear into the absorbent crust.

Ironically, the worst pork pies I tasted, were actually on a wasted side trip to Melton Mobray!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

As a pork pie aficionado, (addict?) who spent some time sampling the market in Sheffield, Derbyshire and Lincolnshire, I came to the conclusion that freshness is the main factor.

The M & S, Sainsbury, Tesco products have a long shelf life.

The best pork pies came from local butchers who sell them, still warm, before they have had a chance to dry out and all the juices disappear into the absorbent crust.

Ironically, the worst pork pies I tasted, were actually on a wasted side trip to Melton Mobray!

Totally agree Melton Mobray - over-rated.

I used to work at the S&E bottling plant Archer Rd, the bakery building was next door.

Come when the ovens were open in't afternoon we'd rush out and feast on Hot P/Pies, Steak Pies, Pasties etc,etc,etc.

Happy Daze.

My home made pork pies are about as fresh as fresh can be.

Iv'e got the Hot Crust Pastry making down to a fine art,

and have a good local butcher for the filling.

The boiling of Pigs trotter down to Gelatin is a bit time consuming but worth it.

PS; the Dairy complex at Archer Rd also had the Butchery Department down there.

If you saw what went into Pork Pies it'd doubt many would ever eat a Pork Pie again.

Me I'm made of Sterner  Stuff  (as the Over-hang testifies to) :blush:

Keep safe Eat Well.

If you can't eat well - eat a lot :thumbsup:

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Try chipshop in staveley chesterfield for Sheffield fishcakes. Delish.

Also Union Jack fish & chip shop in Dore for real fishcakes.

This is going to seem strange to a few of you out there, but, us early risers 

(Milkman for 10 years) used to (after a good drinking session) buy extra Fishcakes with our 'Fish super' 

so we could take them for our (very early morning) packing up.

We'd drown them in Salt & Vinegar the night before and eat them cold around 6.30.

40 years later & I still wake before 4am 

38 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

This is going to seem strange to a few of you out there, but, us early risers 

(Milkman for 10 years) used to (after a good drinking session) buy extra Fishcakes with our 'Fish super' 

so we could take them for our (very early morning) packing up.

We'd drown them in Salt & Vinegar the night before and eat them cold around 6.30.

40 years later & I still wake before 4am 

Milkmen had to be fast on their feet, before the husbands came home from the night shift. 

I agree that a good pork pie simply must have some proper jelly in it. I also think the crust should be quite firm and crispy on the outside, with a softer layer on the inside, next to the filling. Supermarket pork pies always have no jelly and a flabby, soggy crust.