Food From My Past

5 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

eyup Rockers do you remember Tony's chip shop at the top of club garden road  a big bag of mix which was chips,scraps and mushy pea's on top and all for a tanner

I'm sure it was only 3d (threepenny bit)  when we were young.

Apart from Dixon's (of course) I think we used to use the Chippy on Sitwell Rd more.

Can't remember the name of the guy who ran the Sitwell Rd one & its not there in my 1972 Kellys.

Happy Daze.

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I'm sure it was only 3d (threepenny bit)  when we were young.

Apart from Dixon's (of course) I think we used to use the Chippy on Sitwell Rd more.

Can't remember the name of the guy who ran the Sitwell Rd one & its not there in my 1972 Kellys.

Happy Daze.

he was called Adrian it was a good chippy

We didn’t get pink custard Wallace but we sometimes got chocolate custard served with a barrel shaped lump of ice cream. Rockers there’s a guy on YouTube who people people send weird food from around the world to. He had one of the tinned chickens you mentioned, think it was from the US. It did indeed look outstandingly grim. Other stuff I remember, poloney, dunno how to spell it but it looked like black pudding but was red. Can’t remember what it tasted like but we had it in sarnies. Also tomato sausage from castle market that turned the fat in the pan pink. They were lovely but I can’t seem to find ones as nice nowadays.

i was told the food we ate in the 50s/60s and the school dinners and the school milk ect,where the best this country ate,it was mixed,varied and contain all the nourishment ect we needed to grow,also it devoloped us with good bones ect,since then our food is very more varied ,as we now eat food from all over the world,

this is why we are larger in the most,plus we did more exercise as well in the old days.

3 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

he was called Adrian it was a good chippy

Correct (biker as well if I remember right)

must have been some time ago we still had the antiquated laws that you couldn't  buy chips on their own on a Sunday.

Didn't it become where you couldn't buy fish on a Sunday in Sheffield ?

& the reason we used to ride out to Matlock Bath on a Sunday for Fish and Chip dinners

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Correct (biker as well if I remember right)

must have been some time ago we still had the antiquated laws that you couldn't  buy chips on their own on a Sunday.

Didn't it become where you couldn't buy fish on a Sunday in Sheffield ?

& the reason we used to ride out to Matlock Bath on a Sunday for Fish and Chip dinners

yes Adrian was a keen biker he had quite a collection.

when I first started going to sitwell road chippy I thought he was

a vicar as he always wore a dog collar type thing

School dinners, with desert. Steaming sponge puddings with hot custard, "large one, please?". Sago, Tapioca and Farinoco pudding.

Those small plum pies from the local cafe.  Hot and very moist real scotch pies, with Henderson's  from Chunkies van on the building sites.

Tomato sausage sandwich and a milky coffee from the market.

And, of course, real fish and chips.

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

School dinners, with desert. Steaming sponge puddings with hot custard, "large one, please?". Sago, Tapioca and Farinoco pudding.

Those small plum pies from the local cafe.  Hot and very moist real scotch pies, with Henderson's  from Chunkies van on the building sites.

Tomato sausage sandwich and a milky coffee from the market.

And, of course, real fish and chips.

Scotch Pies when they had proper Mutton in them not the vile, bland mush that's in them nowadays.

Used to get ours from a sandwich shop (no longer there) on Meadow St, Shalesmoor.

Probably one of the best sandwich shops in Sheffield, their Cheese & piccalilli sandwiches were to die for,

Crusty Bread cakes, & Piccalilli  overflowing out all over the place, Messy but good fun!

Happy Daze.

Keep safe

Eat well

On 01/08/2021 at 05:24, stephen 7 said:

Don't  mention yorkshire puddings its enough to make me pack up and come home anybody else miss there favourite foods because of where they live

Surly there are eggs, flour and ovens in Australia? 

Hi Stephen.  My dad used to love tripe and onions, not to mention black pudding, neither of which were my cup of tea.  I just about lived on chips and scraps, orr sometimes fishcakes.  I could stand school dinners (Abbeydale Sec Mod).  They used to arrive daily a big tins and the smell when they were opened, particularly the potatoes or the semolina has been enough to put me off for life.

6 hours ago, John bycroft said:

Hi Stephen.  My dad used to love tripe and onions, not to mention black pudding, neither of which were my cup of tea.  I just about lived on chips and scraps, orr sometimes fishcakes.  I could stand school dinners (Abbeydale Sec Mod).  They used to arrive daily a big tins and the smell when they were opened, particularly the potatoes or the semolina has been enough to put me off for life.

Tripe, onions and potatoes (wi skin on) in a White sauce done in't pressure cooker.

Thanks Mum You did us proud :thumbsup:

Edited by Rockers rule
Spelling - oop's

I moved to live in London in the late 1970's and among the foods I still miss, even after more than 40 years, are breadcakes, hot roast pork sandwiches from a shop, Sheffield style fishcakes from the chippy and a decent pork pie. None of these things are available in or around London, so I make a beeline for them whenever I return to Sheff to visit my family.