Sign in to follow this  

'Error' Message Meaning?

This concerns a different forum that I've been using every day recently.

All of a sudden I get the following message :

"You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3"

Their end, or my PC?

The former.

Sounds like you'll need to upgrade the version of PHP you're using on your server. Should be able to login to your cPanel and select PHP and upgrade from there.

Perhaps worth doing a site backup first though; I've upgraded PHP version before in the past, and it's broken my site. Can't remember exactly what it was now, but I was doing something that worked in a previous version of PHP and when I updated, it stopped working and I had to re-code some stuff to make it work with the new PHP version.

23 hours ago, FoxLady said:

This concerns a different forum that I've been using every day recently.

All of a sudden I get the following message :

"You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3"

Their end, or my PC?

phpBB is forum software so the problem will be at their end.

Ignore Waldo, they obviously didn't read your post carefully enough and have somehow managed to get the idea you are running a forum rather than simply using one.

52 minutes ago, altus said:

phpBB is forum software so the problem will be at their end.

Ignore Waldo, they obviously didn't read your post carefully enough and have somehow managed to get the idea you are running a forum rather than simply using one.

Ah! OK!

My thanks to all responders.

(Correct or otherwise!)

Argh, ha, yes, I was under the mistaken impression you were running your own forum and the version of PHP on your server needed an update. What can I say, should have gone to specsavers!

It sounds like it will be the people who are running the forum need to do the update; are you able to contact the owners and let them know?