Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 31/07/2021 at 13:56, Gormenghast said:

How much of the increase in prices is due to subsidies for renewable energy projects?

This is from the US but the economics are the same everywhere - solar energy is becoming as cheap or cheaper to generate than fossil fuels. It's the same story with wind. With advances in battery storage (chemical and kinetic) it's now undoubtedly possible to fully replace fossil fuel with renewable. Boosting output from renewables isn't difficult but requires investment, particularly in offshore wind. Governments should be prioritising this - it will involve short term cost for long term savings, but those savings and the benefits of energy security (not least the freedom from dependence on appalling regimes like Qatar and Russia) far outweigh the defecits of any short term costs. 

 

As apelike says, subsidies have helped renewables get off the ground and now economy of scale has kicked in (remarkably quickly) reducing the need for them. If we want to look at how we can save on wasteful subsidies then we need to look at nuclear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Delbow said:

This is from the US but the economics are the same everywhere - solar energy is becoming as cheap or cheaper to generate than fossil fuels. It's the same story with wind. With advances in battery storage (chemical and kinetic) it's now undoubtedly possible to fully replace fossil fuel with renewable. Boosting output from renewables isn't difficult but requires investment, particularly in offshore wind. Governments should be prioritising this - it will involve short term cost for long term savings, but those savings and the benefits of energy security (not least the freedom from dependence on appalling regimes like Qatar and Russia) far outweigh the defecits of any short term costs. 

 

As apelike says, subsidies have helped renewables get off the ground and now economy of scale has kicked in (remarkably quickly) reducing the need for them. If we want to look at how we can save on wasteful subsidies then we need to look at nuclear.

Why on earthe are we not investing in tidal power?

We have one of the longest coastlines in europe. The sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow, but the tide goes in and out twice a day regardless of weather. So let's use it to generate electricity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

With advances in battery storage (chemical and kinetic) it's now undoubtedly possible to fully replace fossil fuel with renewable.

The ammount of fossil fuel used is massive, we cannot replace fossil fuel with renewables any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Cid said:

The ammount of fossil fuel used is massive, we cannot replace fossil fuel with renewables any time soon.

We can, but it not only requires increase in generating capacity, it requires much better insulation of homes (which those people sitting on the motorway have been pointing out) and replacement of gas boilers. It's a big job but it urgently needs doing, so we should be getting on with it rather than giving money to people to make CO2 so we can eat chicken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delbow said:

We can, but it not only requires increase in generating capacity, it requires much better insulation of homes (which those people sitting on the motorway have been pointing out) and replacement of gas boilers. It's a big job but it urgently needs doing, so we should be getting on with it rather than giving money to people to make CO2 so we can eat chicken.

If those protesters on the motorway are like my daughter, they need to close the window when the heating is on, that might help, or put a jacket on  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn a few lights off, stick a fleece on, you can only get billed for what you are using. Be alight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't really understand why energy prices are rocketing, but it does remind me of the 2008 financial crisis which was a direct result of deregulation of the financial services industry. With the brakes taken off they got greedy and clever, lending money they didn't have and finding new ways of ripping off the customer to make more money for themselves. That is until it all imploded and crashed. 

 

I think this energy crisis has all the hallmarks of a similar venture.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who will point it out if I am.

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Delbow said:

We can, but it not only requires increase in generating capacity, it requires much better insulation of homes (which those people sitting on the motorway have been pointing out) and replacement of gas boilers. It's a big job but it urgently needs doing, so we should be getting on with it rather than giving money to people to make CO2 so we can eat chicken.

At the moment less than 10% of our energy comes from renewals. We would need 10x more solar panels and wind turbines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

At the moment less than 10% of our energy comes from renewals. We would need 10x more solar panels and wind turbines.

Makes you wonder why that's not top of Mr. Starmer's list. The lack of ambition in the political class is pathetic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

At the moment less than 10% of our energy comes from renewals. We would need 10x more solar panels and wind turbines.

Pretty sure it’s a lot more than 10%. From a quick search I found:

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/our-work/generation/electricity-generation.html

 

Quote

Renewable technologies use natural energy to make electricity. Fuel sources include wind, wave, marine, hydro, biomass and solar. It made up 24.5% of electricity generated in 2016 - this will rise as the UK aims to meet its EU target of generating 30% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2020.

That’s from 5 years ago too, would expect we’re over 30% now.

Edited by Waldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gridwatch uk site is showing that at the moment, 7.45 am , our energy use is 38 percent from renewables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pandemic has been  talked about, thought about, worried about, and we’re still here.  Fuel, food shortages will take over for a while because human beings are very negative as positivity is so utterly boring.

Edited by crookesey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.