Energy Prices

10 hours ago, crookesey said:

Looking at the way motor fuel prices have been increasing of late I’m not expecting anything less on the home energy front. My 14 months dual fuel costs are likely to be within the £1450 to £1500 range. We are both retired so there is zero boiler off time in waking hours, we live in a 1450 square feet detached house that is very well insulated, we were very happy with the deal offered by Shell.

I’m expecting a dual fuel cost of circa £115 per month, there’s very little that can be done to beat this so why bother moaning, they’ve currently got us by the preverbials but I’m a great believer in ‘what goes around comes around’, just wait until they are begging us for our business.

I am considering solar panels and  battery system. 

Edited by iansheff

12 hours ago, iansheff said:

I am considering solar panels and  battery system. 

Have you had any quotes?

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

Have you had any quotes?

No not yet I will do a lot of research first, I like to have an idea what is what.

Did you see the article below a Hong Kong tycoon has received a dividend of £237m for the second year in a row. He has had almost £2billion in dividends since  2010.

Hong Kong tycoon's £237m dividend pay out from UK Power Networks (msn.com)

Just had another email from EDF saying.   Since February, UK wholesale energy costs have risen by £200. They are after people signing a 2 year deal.

Edited by iansheff

Energy bills to increase on average by £139 per annum. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58106105

Think it'll be thick jumpers all round as presents this Christmas.  The annual turning on of the central heating in our house will be postponed from the end of October to late November, I think? 

The government raised the energy price cap in March. This increased the price of an average bill by about £95 a year. It would seem they are raising it again in September and this time it will increase the price by about £130 a year. In their wisdom the government have also allowed the energy companies to  include a  charge of £30 a year on all customers bills, to compensate tthem for defaulters. Energy companies are also refusing to allow customers who refuse to have a smart meter fitted ,sign up for a fixed lower price deal. We really are having to choose between eating and heating.

Had an offer from EDF which is a 3 year tariff and it will rise by £13 a month, looked on MSE Energy club and cheapest coming up is same price per month as EDF but one year variable, maybe I am being cynical but can't see the prices going down over 3 years.

I switched my plan for Octopus energy a few months ago, but before that I was on British Gas. Too expensive. I would say that now I have 15% lower bills. I don´t know how it will be in the colder months though. I check prices here to know what to expect from the supplier https://www.switch-plan.co.uk/suppliers/octopus-energy/tariffs/

Edited by plantapple

Something to watch is the daily charges, many have doubled increasing your annual bill by over £100.00.

I have stayed with EDF on a 3 year fixed rate, I had no intention of doing but after looking on the compare sites, there was only one that matched the monthly price EDF had offered, that was Utility warehouse and was a one year variable contract. Looked at Ovo as they were plugging a 2 year fixed rate but was about £8 pm more.

Edited by iansheff

They are doing as they wish simply because they can, what goes around comes around, I predict the demise of some of the minor players as and when the users remember who is the boss.

I've been paying £103.00 a month for both Gas and Electric on a fixed deal with EDF. I got my bill in August and I was over £115 in credit. My deal was due to run out at the end of this month. EDF wanted £152 for a new fixed rate 2year deal. 

I had a look at other companies cheapest I could get was £136.00 with OVO this is based on my Gas and Electric usage for the past year. Bearing in mind that I worked from home between January and March this year so I'm hoping that now I'm back in the office full time I won't use as much and my payments may come down.

On 31/07/2021 at 11:04, whiteowl said:

My energy contract finishes in August so I've been look around for a new one.

Have energy prices shot up in the last year or so?

Every quote I'm getting is about £20-30 a month more than I've been paying for the last year!

I expect some increases but 25-30% seems excessive :(

When wholesale prices have gone up six fold, we will be happy with just a 50% increase!

Which company did you go with, hope they havnt gone bust.