Very Low Flying Aeroplane Today (30/07/21)

As I drove along Langsett, where the Hillsborough Barracks are, in the direction of town, round about 16:00 ish, ahead of me in the sky was a very, and I mean very, low flying aeroplane circle around over, I'm guessing where Tesco and Winsors shoes is. I actually thought it was going to crash at one point.

Did anyone else see it?

There was one here over S12 the other week that kept circling, when I looked on flight radar it was a police plane.

it was the police plane, I'm guessing it was low because of the weather and low clouds. It was flying over Kelham at around 3pm and according to flightradar24 it was at 1200 feet

43 minutes ago, nuthead said:

it was the police plane, I'm guessing it was low because of the weather and low clouds. It was flying over Kelham at around 3pm and according to flightradar24 it was at 1200 feet

It was lower than that, like I say, I thought it was coming down.

Saw it flying over meadow bank road.   Was very low 

13 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

As I drove along Langsett, where the Hillsborough Barracks are, in the direction of town, round about 16:00 ish, ahead of me in the sky was a very, and I mean very, low flying aeroplane circle around over, I'm guessing where Tesco and Winsors shoes is. I actually thought it was going to crash at one point.

Did anyone else see it?

Yo! HumbleNarrator  me and my fellow Droogs did in fact viddy  a very low flying plane .

A little earlier 2.45 (ish) flying along the Dearne Valley which could well have been flying (as the Crow fly's) 

in the direction of Hillsbrough.

Cured.

There has been one every Saturday afternoon for the last 4 or 5 weeks, flying for hours round and round in circles over Hillsborough - they still haven't found me yet though.

There was a small plane flying over Killamarsh last week that repeatedly flew vertically until it stalled and then it dropped and the engine restarted. Was surprised this was allowed over houses!?

It can be very difficult to judge the height of a light aircraft. Reports have been filled with the Civil Aviation Authority where the observer swears that the aircraft was no higher than 300 feet, but the aircraft was flying at over 2000 feet and this was verified by Seconadary Survelliance Radar. Pilots of single engine aircraft are required to be able to glide clear of any built-up areas they overfly. Pilots of twin engined aircraft have to be able to fly clear of the built up area on their remaining engine. 

Pilots who are trained in aerobatics are trained to undertake them clear of Active Airfields, Built Up Areas, Controlled Airspace and Cloud, but "clear of a built-up area" just means that they can glide clear if their engine fails. A light aircraft will typically glide about 10 feet for every foot it is above the  ground, and unless the pilot is very experienced, they will be above 3000 feet, so they will be able to glide about five miles  away if the engine fails, so there is nothing to worry about over Killamarsh. 

On 31/07/2021 at 09:01, Rockers rule said:

Yo! HumbleNarrator  me and my fellow Droogs did in fact viddy  a very low flying plane .

A little earlier 2.45 (ish) flying along the Dearne Valley which could well have been flying (as the Crow fly's) 

in the direction of Hillsbrough.

Cured.

Ha, I'd like to be able to use the odd word or phrase from Clockwork Orange in general conversation, like viddy for instance, without people thinking I'm a weirdo. 

Edited by HumbleNarrator

58 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Ha, I'd like to be able to use the odd word or phrase from Clockwork Orange in general conversation, like viddy for instance, without people thinking I'm a weirdo. 

One of my favorite books of all time, Narrator.

the American (and probably the best) shorter version has the Glossary of Nadsat at the end.

Enjoy.

On 31/07/2021 at 20:42, tlangdon12 said:

unless the pilot is very experienced, they will be above 3000 feet, so they will be able to glide about five miles  away if the engine fails, so there is nothing to worry about over Killamarsh. 

I can assure you this plane was not flying at the height of mount Snowdon, I could almost make out the pilots sandwich filling.