Walking And Cycling Prioritised In New Highway Code

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

The times I have had to stop and let the car pass I have lost count of.

I put that down to their ignorance or arrogance.

We have fully embraced car culture in this country (sadly). The expectation that the car is king on the road means pedestrians and cyclists have had to relent, by and large, and that has basically conditioned drivers to assume all pedestrians & cyclists are going to get out of their way, unless they (the driver) give express permission otherwise. So in the situation mentioned above - cars turning in to a T-junction - it's basically assumed that when the car wants to turn, it will, and only another car would stop it from doing so. Pedestrians on the road crossing had better get out of the way or wait etc. Don't get me started on pavement parking and a host of other things.

These planned changes go toward trying to reverse that mindset, and quite rightly to.

As someone who considers themselves to be a considerate motorist, I look forward to the new Highway Code rules as long as they also drive home the fact that cyclists also have to play second fiddle to pedestrians. 

Cyclists - unless you're under 10 years old & under the supervision of your parents, GET OFF THE PAVEMENT! 

22 hours ago, El Cid said:

I have read the BBC article and it does say what the changes are.

"Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing
look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing"

I guess they will just insert another "you must" in there?

I have a lot of problems with joggers running along a pavement and then suddenly crossing on a zebra crossing with no indication of what they intended a lot of them not even looking .  With someone walking along the pavement you can see what they intend.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

As someone who considers themselves to be a considerate motorist, I look forward to the new Highway Code rules as long as they also drive home the fact that cyclists also have to play second fiddle to pedestrians. 

Cyclists - unless you're under 10 years old & under the supervision of your parents, GET OFF THE PAVEMENT! 

I always thought that pavements were for cyclists who were scared of the road and dont give a damn about pedestrians :)

Lets not start on the sodding electric scooters!!!!

Pedestrians, joggers, cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles, we all need to relax and use common sense. I include myself of course.

3 hours ago, alchemist said:

I always thought that pavements were for cyclists who were scared of the road and dont give a damn about pedestrians :)

Lets not start on the sodding electric scooters!!!!

To rub salt in the wound you have to get out of the way for them.

19 hours ago, Janus said:

Pedestrians, joggers, cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles, we all need to relax and use common sense. I include myself of course.

What we should have is one really large path, with markings to show the rules.

Instead we have separate lane which are meant for pedestrians, cycle lanes and super cycle highways. So we have confusion and devision about where electric scooters and mobility/disability scooters are allowed.

Also the confusion caused by Government delay in deciding the legallity of electric scooters.

On 31/07/2021 at 15:36, Kidorry said:

To rub salt in the wound you have to get out of the way for them.

Where are all these pavements full of cyclists? Which part of the city? I occasionally see 1 or 2 in a month in S11, no issue whatsoever.

I see motor vehicles parked where they shouldn't be, every day of the week. 

On 30/07/2021 at 13:44, HumbleNarrator said:

There are lots of people on the roads that should read the highway code.

Yes. Many are called 'cyclists', although- to be fair- they're often on the pavement instead.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Yes. Many are called 'cyclists', although- to be fair- they're often on the pavement instead.

To be fair, they aren't. The proportion of bikes on pavements v roads is very low.

On 31/07/2021 at 08:27, Baron99 said:

I'm a pedestrian/public transport user 90% of the time. Occasional driver, haven't been on a bike in years, truthfully.

I hardly ever see cyclists on the pavement, or running red lights at crossings when I'm using them. My experience is cyclists on pavements usually travel slow and steady enough for it to barely be an issue. If you're somewhere like The Moor for example there's so much space that it's a complete non-issue. At crossings, I'm not sure I've ever had to stop crossing because of a cyclist who didn't stop for me. If they move through the red-light after I've crossed because the crossing is clear, it's really causing no one an issue apart from drivers with chips on their shoulders.