Walking And Cycling Prioritised In New Highway Code

New changes to the Highway Code will give pedestrians greater priority over cars at junctions and crossings, the transport secretary has announced.

Under the current code, motorists only have to give way when pedestrians step onto a crossing.

The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58021450

33 minutes ago, Janus said:

New changes to the Highway Code will give pedestrians greater priority over cars at junctions and crossings, the transport secretary has announced.

Under the current code, motorists only have to give way when pedestrians step onto a crossing.

The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58021450

That is motorists take any notice of the new rules.

Will there be fines or points if they don't?

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I have read the BBC article and it does say what the changes are.

"Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing
look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing"

I guess they will just insert another "you must" in there?

If the emphasis is on pedestrian safety I would suggest

1) Pedestrians are advised not to walk behind cars that are in the process of reversing.

2) Pedestrians should not run 2 metres into the road and then stroll across the remainder

3) Pedestrians should not be texting or have their earphones on when crossing

4) Mothers with push chairs should not push their child into the traffic.

And of course cyclists should observe traffic signs and signals and should not ride 2 or 3 abreast on narrow roads

5 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Or indeed, cyclists

There are lots of people on the roads that should read the highway code. The amount of people that don't give way from the right on a roundabout or sit stationary  over yellow boxes is getting silly.

44 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

There are lots of people on the roads that should read the highway code. The amount of people that don't give way from the right on a roundabout or sit stationary  over yellow boxes is getting silly.

And motorists who come off a main road onto a side road and do not give way if a pedestrian is already on the side road.

31 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

And motorists who come off a main road onto a side road and do not give way if a pedestrian is already on the side road.

Surely a driver would give way and let the person carry on crossing the side road, the driver is not going to mow the person down. 

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Surely a driver would give way and let the person carry on crossing the side road, the driver is not going to mow the person down. 

The times I have had to stop and let the car pass I have lost count of.

7 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

My bold. 

I've frequently seen buses doing this at rush hour in heavy traffic, blocking roads to their left & right. 

And before anyone says, I bet I've done something similar, well no I haven't.  I have however been sat at traffic lights on green with an empty yellow box ahead of me, with traffic on the other side of the box listening to an angry driver behind me, continuously honking their horn & gesturing to move on. 

Edited by Baron99

24 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The times I have had to stop and let the car pass I have lost count of.

Used to happen fairly regularly to me when crossing the junction between Crookes Valley Road and Oxford Street - and a good dozen  times on the zebra crossing  on CVR just down from Harcourt Road.