Let's Bring Back The Sheffield Show

After the success of Tramlines it would be great if The Sheffield Show was brought back ,it was an ideal family event .

I have put a petition on  please click on this link 

http://chng.it/XhKWvcqrtr

Yep, good idea. I saw Def Leppard at the Sheffield Show at the back end of the 70s. It was being held in Hillsborough that day.

I would offer that should anyone in official corridors think the idea has merit, somewhere other than Hillsborough should be chosen as a venue. Seems to me that the businesses around S6 are coining it in due to the stranglehold Tramlines has. Endcliffe Park, Greaves Park, Norfolk Park,  Weston Park, Bingham Park/Whiteley Woods and Millhouses would all be big enough to stage the event. We are a city full of parks. The public should be allowed to share their wealth around the city.

it would be near on impossible as we stand,theres no money to do it,SCC do the highland fling,the one at western park and a bit of one at norfolk park,but rely on funfair rides ect ,mainly to pay for it,now to do a sheffield show that needs big cash,unless chargable will lose cash,i know first hand and feel honoured to be likened to the old show by many who visit ours at greenhill,but its costly,take example one to put on a stage ,a few bands ,costs 8-10 thousand,the insurance,the ambulance costs(firstaiders),the barriers,the toilets plus the H&S officer min charge £1,000,that adds at least £8,000,if its free entry,as the public would expect,i forcast a big loss,

we offer free funfair rides to help families ,but as the council say you need at least 6 for that to work,the main problem is if you dont charge the rate payer foots the bill of any loses,if you do charge thats not fair as it means only people with lots of cash can go,i have a simple answer to it all,let each area work with the local housing & taras.

then set up a committee, so say 8 in sheffield,scrap the parks dept existing ones,then let each area ,do there own and that would then let them all have there own theme and the parks dept ,could provide help and as each area has a cash pot that helps,plus many local shops help as well,or something like that idea,with the public deciding each areas theme each year and everyone working together.these are only ideas and i am not saying the sheffield show idea is not good.

On 28/07/2021 at 10:00, wearysmith said:

Yep, good idea. I saw Def Leppard at the Sheffield Show at the back end of the 70s. It was being held in Hillsborough that day.

I would offer that should anyone in official corridors think the idea has merit, somewhere other than Hillsborough should be chosen as a venue. Seems to me that the businesses around S6 are coining it in due to the stranglehold Tramlines has. Endcliffe Park, Greaves Park, Norfolk Park,  Weston Park, Bingham Park/Whiteley Woods and Millhouses would all be big enough to stage the event. We are a city full of parks. The public should be allowed to share their wealth around the city.

No one ever mentions Longley Park or Parsons Cross Park. We know why. 

yeah get that,but as i am always told greenhill park lowedges and longley which i used to visit as a kid and parsons cross are all 2nd parks not main ones,we had at greenhill park this thing,like there will be no wheels on the cars ect,but people changed there minds,but cannot speak about the 2 mentioned,because i have not visited in years,but if i remember longley had a swimming pool?

I didn't know Sheffield Show had ceased?

yes ended about 20 years ago,as did the sheffield steam rally,but a nice lady saved it and it still goes ahead every year in rotherham

On 28/07/2021 at 10:31, bassett one said:

it would be near on impossible as we stand,theres no money to do it,SCC do the highland fling,the one at western park and a bit of one at norfolk park,but rely on funfair rides ect ,mainly to pay for it,now to do a sheffield show that needs big cash,unless chargable will lose cash,i know first hand and feel honoured to be likened to the old show by many who visit ours at greenhill,but its costly,take example one to put on a stage ,a few bands ,costs 8-10 thousand,the insurance,the ambulance costs(firstaiders),the barriers,the toilets plus the H&S officer min charge £1,000,that adds at least £8,000,if its free entry,as the public would expect,i forcast a big loss,

we offer free funfair rides to help families ,but as the council say you need at least 6 for that to work,the main problem is if you dont charge the rate payer foots the bill of any loses,if you do charge thats not fair as it means only people with lots of cash can go,i have a simple answer to it all,let each area work with the local housing & taras.

then set up a committee, so say 8 in sheffield,scrap the parks dept existing ones,then let each area ,do there own and that would then let them all have there own theme and the parks dept ,could provide help and as each area has a cash pot that helps,plus many local shops help as well,or something like that idea,with the public deciding each areas theme each year and everyone working together.these are only ideas and i am not saying the sheffield show idea is not good.

We could afford it then but not now? Yet we're all supposed to be so much better off now than in the seventies and eighties....

i agree,wouldnt it be nice if the scc ,worked with local area groups and got nice local festivals,we bid for money to do ours,but if each area got grants and scc helped,ie paid for the stewards or the H&S officer that costs £1,000 for each event,or local groups clubbed together with scc,we could offer big free events,with little cost to the council,we run our huge free event,that could be done accross sheffield and if scc helped that would be even better.

I went a few times to the show with my mum and dad, think it was in the 80’s at Hillsborough Park.  The armed forces was there doing demonstrations, they were really good, but Sheffield council banned them from future events, can’t remember why, something to do with it not being suitable for a family day out.  My dad was furious and didn’t go again after that.

If it should return why not move it to different parks each year so all parks such as Longley Park and Parson Cross Park has has a chance to host it.

that would be a great idea,move the show around the area,also each area could contribute via taras and other non profit organisations,thus saving the council the main cost and letting all areas have a event.

There was a Sheffield show type event in Norfolk Park a few years ago that had all the usual show tents with crafts, flower arrangements, etc but also a kind of village of tents displaying various skills from different periods of history and  reenactments of battles from different periods. It was excellent. 

Does anyone else remember it?