Corned Beef Hash

Hi there.  My other half likes corned beef hash, but I have never made it.  I'm interested to hear your recipes.  Yes I can use google.

There seems to be many different ways of making corned beef hash. I like a lot of gravy, so I .ake mine a bit like making a vegetable stew, with chunks of corned beef added to it towards the end of cooking. My sister married an American bloke, so she would make her corned beef hash in the more "dry-fried" American style. My version is to sweat down some roughly chopped onion, garlic,  celery, carrots and par-boiled potatoes until soft, then add a tin of tomatoes and bit of tomato puree, . a beef stock cube and bit of water mixed with cornflour to thicken the gravy and then simmer  until the veg are very soft and falling apart. I then add a tin of corned beef cut into large chunks and warm it through in the veggie stew. I then leave it for a few hours , or overnight, to infuse and soak up the corned beef flavour.

My sister's American version is to heat a bit of oil, then pan-fry some very finely chopped onion, garlic, celery,  carrots, green and red pepper, finely diced cubes of par-boiled potatoes and fresh chopped tomatoes until soft and browned. She then adds finely chopped corned beef and rapidly fries the mix until it goes a bit dry and crispy.

Two very different versions of corned beef hash  but both very tasty.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

17 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

There seems to be many different ways of making corned beef hash. I like a lot of gravy, so I .ake mine a bit like making a vegetable stew, with chunks of corned beef added to it towards the end of cooking. My sister married an American bloke, so she would make her corned beef hash in the more "dry-fried" American style. My version is to sweat down some roughly chopped onion, garlic,  celery, carrots and par-boiled potatoes until soft, then add a tin of tomatoes and bit of tomato puree, . a beef stock cube and bit of water mixed with cornflour to thicken the gravy and then simmer  until the veg are very soft and falling apart. I then add a tin of corned beef cut into large chunks and warm it through in the veggie stew. I then leave it for a few hours , or overnight, to infuse and soak up the corned beef flavour.

My sister's American version is to heat a bit of oil, then pan-fry some very finely chopped onion, garlic, celery,  carrots, green and red pepper, finely diced cubes of par-boiled potatoes and fresh chopped tomatoes until soft and browned. She then adds finely chopped corned beef and rapidly fries the mix until it goes a bit dry and crispy.

What! 

Garlic, Tomatoes, red and Green peppers.

Never had it until I met our Lass. (we were never that poor  :lol:)

same as 'bubble & Squeak, wasn't it always a thrift thing?

a way to use those left over potatoes, cabbage and carrots from Sunday dinner 

rather than a designated meal?

I can't remember having left overs, we ate what we was given  and if there had been 

anything left over it certainly wouldn't have been Green peppers, Garlic or Tomato puree.

Back to basics I can understand, and the dry fry American style appears to be how it was cooked when tinned 

Corned Beef was introduced to the British public circa WW1.

Not sure about the Americans liking for wanting to chuck a fried egg on top though.

Keep safe & eat well.

Don't forget,

you always knew who were your posh class mates if they'd brought Dripping sandwiches.

- It meant their parents could afford a Joint of Beef :bigsmile:

On 28/07/2021 at 15:21, FIRETHORN1 said:

Thank you Firethorn.  I like the sound of both those recipes.  Thank you in general also, I have tried quite a few of your recipes over the years.  Unfortunately, I am not a fantastic cook but I do try.  How often do you manage to get back to Sheffield?

I’m also not a fantastic cook.  Like Dales I’ve also had a few tips and recipes from 

Firethorn and  other posters on the foodie thread.   Also I love to read Firethorn’s posts when he talks about past memories and experiences.

Back on topic.   I use to like my mum’s corned beef hash but it was very basic compared to

Firethorn’s recipes.  Like me she also wasn’t a very good cook.  Corned beef is tasty and I’ve  alway got a few tins in my cupboard, it use to be classed as a poor man’s meal years ago.

The last time I had corned beef, last week, I had it with mashed potatoes, carrots and peas.  With slices of corned beef on top.  I made a thick onion gravy and spooned it over the corned beef and potatoes.  It wasn’t a corned beef hash but it was tasty when the hot gravy slightly melted the corned beef.

Thanks Hauxwell. I was very flattered by your comment that you loved reading my posts. I like your posts too. We are both such foodies! I'm not 'he' though, I'm a 'she' .

On 01/08/2021 at 09:46, hauxwell said:

I’m also not a fantastic cook.  Like Dales I’ve also had a few tips and recipes from 

Firethorn and  other posters on the foodie thread.   Also I love to read Firethorn’s posts when he talks about past memories and experiences.

Back on topic.   I use to like my mum’s corned beef hash but it was very basic compared to

Firethorn’s recipes.  Like me she also wasn’t a very good cook.  Corned beef is tasty and I’ve  alway got a few tins in my cupboard, it use to be classed as a poor man’s meal years ago.

The last time I had corned beef, last week, I had it with mashed potatoes, carrots and peas.  With slices of corned beef on top.  I made a thick onion gravy and spooned it over the corned beef and potatoes.  It wasn’t a corned beef hash but it was tasty when the hot gravy slightly melted the corned beef.

I'm glad it's not just me who makes 'questionable meals' hauxwell. Haha.  Hey you called Firethorn a he when she is a she.  Ps I didn't know she was a she either, just that she was good at cooking.

5 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

We are both such foodies! I'm not 'he' though, I'm a 'she' .

Sorry about that.  You have got a way of telling a story of  times gone by and making it interesting tho.    

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I'm glad it's not just me who makes 'questionable meals' hauxwell. Haha.  Hey you called Firethorn a he when she is a she.  Ps I didn't know she was a she either, just that she was good at cooking.

No I’m no cook.  At the start of lockdown last year I did get a bit more adventurous tho and pleased with how some of my Concoctions turned out.

It’s these user names they are very confusing at times.  

Edited by hauxwell

13 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Sorry about that.  You have got a way of telling a story of  times gone by and making it interesting tho.    

No I’m no cook.  At the start of lockdown last year I did get a bit more adventurous tho and pleased with how some of my Concoctions turned out.

I sometimes try and guess if posters are male or female and I am usually wrong.  I once had someone refer to me on here as 'lad' and I'm female.  It made me chuckle.

14 hours ago, hauxwell said:

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I sometimes try and guess if posters are male or female and I am usually wrong.  I once had someone refer to me on here as 'lad' and I'm female.  It made me chuckle.

I think i'm safe with Rocker's Rule and the pic 

I'ts the 'Rocker's Rule - Registered User' tag that could do with sorting out :bigsmile:

Cheers everyone. I enjoy cooking and I like experimenting. I'm not good at everything though  and often can't get even the simple things to turn out right. I'm not great at making home-made pastry and my suet dumplings are often more like cannonballs than light and fluffy. I also never seem to get plain boiled rice quite right - it's either too al-dente or as claggy as wallpaper paste. Some my experiments have been failures too. Any attempts at cooking squid or octopus have always ended up far tooo chewy - like strips of rubber tyres! 

Edited by FIRETHORN1

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Cheers everyone. I enjoy cooking and I like experimenting. I'm not good at everything though  and often can't get even the simple things to turn out right. I'm not great at making home-made pastry and my suet dumplings are often more like cannonballs than light and fluffy. I also never seem to get plain boiled rice quite right - it's either too al-dente or as claggy as wallpaper paste. Some my experiments have been failures too. Any attempts at cooking squid or octopus have always ended up far tooo chewy - like strips of rubber tyres! 

When I make dumplings Firethorn I’ve used Goldenfry Farmhouse Style Dumpling Mix.  It really is good, the dumplings are light, fluffy and tasty.  I’ve tried other packed mixes before but this is the best.  Just follow the instructions on the packet and you can’t go wrong.

Most supermarkets sell it but I get it from B&M or Home Bargains it’s much cheaper than the supermarkets.

The odd time I’ve cooked rice it’s been a disaster so I use boil in the bag.  
I wouldn’t even know what to do with an octopus or squid.