Supertram At Tramlines

I am a great fan of Sheffield' Supertram. Its a joy to ride on it while going about my business. However I am very disappointed the lack of evening trams during the last week-end.(tramlines festival)

the very name of the music festival relates to our local tram system.   How strange it was not operating.  Obviously Supertram did not want the publics business this weekend when alot wanted to travel

to Hillsborough and also the central areas.  

In the bigger picture on Friday and Saturday nights the tram should operate untill at least 1am like i know Manchester's tram does.  If a city wants a thriving nightime economy it needs a way for people to get there

and get home again.  I am further saddened that like this weekend there are never trams after about 7pm on New years eve and christmas eve.  Is supertram operating for them selves or the wider public????

24 minutes ago, richard15 said:

I am a great fan of Sheffield' Supertram. Its a joy to ride on it while going about my business. However I am very disappointed the lack of evening trams during the last week-end.(tramlines festival)

the very name of the music festival relates to our local tram system.   How strange it was not operating.  Obviously Supertram did not want the publics business this weekend when alot wanted to travel

to Hillsborough and also the central areas.  

In the bigger picture on Friday and Saturday nights the tram should operate untill at least 1am like i know Manchester's tram does.  If a city wants a thriving nightime economy it needs a way for people to get there

and get home again.  I am further saddened that like this weekend there are never trams after about 7pm on New years eve and christmas eve.  Is supertram operating for them selves or the wider public????

As the press release stated, the evening tram service did not run for Tramlines due to a shortage of drivers caused by the NHS Test & Trace system telling them to self-isolate and the festival organisers being concerned that providing a reduced service would cause crowds to back up dangerously. Local buses from Hillsborough Interchange accepted tram tickets or some chose to walk to Shalesmoor and join a tram there.

The 2019 edition of Tramlines had a dedicated exit onto Leppings Lane tram stop with a fleet of trams providing departures into the City Centre every 5 minutes after the event and shifted all the crowds in little over an hour. Unfortunately this year, well, Covid happened!

In Sheffield late night bus services have been tried several times by various operators and they simply didn't get used. Sheffield isn't the big, busy city that Manchester is and we also have no shortage of taxis in Sheffield. Supertram have the additional challenge of West Street becoming impassable on a Friday/Saturday night later on.

Last trams times aren't bad - generally around 23:30 from the City Centre and midnight from outer termini (Parkgate, Meadowhall, Halfway, Herdings, Middlewood and Malin Bridge), resuming around 05:30 the next morning (later on Sundays). Last buses from the City Centre out to the suburbs are also generally between 23:00 and 23:30, slightly later on the 52 and 120.

Evening services on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve I'm told operated in the past but again, not enough people used them to be financially viable and to make a come back a taxpayer subsidy would be required. These days I think people either stay local or use taxis.

Edited by Andy C