Adelaide Road Area - Nether Edge - As Nice As It Looks?

Hi all,

First post in the Forum but doing my house hunting in the last couple of months it has been an invaluable resource!!

We're a family with young children relocating to Sheffield and are looking at a house on Adelaide Road, Nether Edge (near Brincliffe Edge Woods). On viewing the house we thought the surrounding area seemed really nice, very leafy with some beautiful old houses etc, but having done some research on the forum it sounds like people's opinions of Nether Edge as an area on the whole aren't that great.

When we drove back into town along Abbeydale Rd we did notice that the feeling of the area quickly became more urban and less leafy suburb so I suppose my question is... Should I worry about living in this part of Nether Edge? Is it as nice as the old houses and tree lined streets make it appear? 

Thanks for any input!

Jamie

The rule of thumb with Nether Edge is the further away from Abbeydale Road and the further away from town the better. Abbeydale Road is one of the main arterial routes into the city and inevitably suffers because of that. The negative opinions some people have of the area are largely a result of that.

Adelaide Road is away from both and is in one of the nicer bits of the area. I'm sure you'll find it fine.

Lovely area in my opinion!

I live close by to Abbeydale Road & don't really agree with the negative opinions - great places to go out & eat (Broadfield pub, Picture House Social, Barrow Boy, Two Thirds for example), feels safe (as a woman to walk on my own anyway), lovely neighbours on my street, close to get into town even by walking in, close to lovely places in Nether Edge (Cafe No. 9, Lotte on the Edge etc), close to drive into the Peaks in 15 mins. 

Thanks for your responses both, it did seem like a lovely area, we went to Cafe No. 9 which was really nice.

I think a walk around the area closer to Abbeydale Rd  would be a good idea as the primary school my little ones would attend would be just off AD Road (Nether Edge Primary).

The posts that really scared me were in this thread - 

But it is from over 10 years ago so maybe things have changed...?

From my experience have never had any trouble or felt unsafe around this area, have lived in this area nearly a year and before that lived right in the city centre - much prefer it here!

Welcome Jaimie, personally I believe your choice of location would be perfect. The house is in a quiet leafy suburb yet you'll be close to amenities, many within walking distance. Abbeydale road has had positive developments over the years and there are plenty of places to eat and now drink and watch the world go by. Certainly there is more interest that side of Abbeydale road from the Broadfield towards town.

It is an arterial route into the city so will be very busy at times but as we've noticed, nowhere near the levels pre-pandemic. Is that an issue, I don't believe so, we live the other side of the woods and I often drop my partner at work in the middle of Sheffield, it really isn't that bad.

Best of luck with the move!

On 27/07/2021 at 13:06, Jamie_w said:

Thanks for your responses both, it did seem like a lovely area, we went to Cafe No. 9 which was really nice.

I think a walk around the area closer to Abbeydale Rd  would be a good idea as the primary school my little ones would attend would be just off AD Road (Nether Edge Primary).

The posts that really scared me were in this thread - 

But it is from over 10 years ago so maybe things have changed...?

Not really, see e.g:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/cricket/sheffield-community-uses-cricket-to-help-tackle-crime-and-anti-social-behaviour-3252736

Lots of nice Cafe and restaurants etc, but I would not live there due to the risks of anti-social behaviour issues. You might not suffer any, but then again you might. I know people who have lived there and had no problems and others who life was ruined by anti-social behaviour. So it's a risk in my opinion (and houses are very overpriced, considering that risk).

T'other week I saw a big blue removals vehicle being unloaded on Adelaide Road.Have you and your family moved in?If so,you have made a great decision because its such a lovely area and the people are really friendly...plus I live closely by..Lol.