South Yorkshire Mayor Announces 25% Off Bus And Tram Tickets

21 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I can not help and wonder what will happen on supertram will they sell day riders at £4.40 or will they say oh no sir/madam we have a better deal for you today and you can have a ticket for both bus and tram for £3.80

Well do they sell these £3.80 tickets on the tram anyway? The OP says online or at interchanges only.

EDIT - ignore me, have read it properly now. I suspect its up to the customer to know about it.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Stagecoach should be heavily fined for every day rider they sell to unsuspecting customers it most certainly should not be the customers responsibility

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

I can not help and wonder what will happen on supertram will they sell day riders at £4.40 or will they say oh no sir/madam we have a better deal for you today and you can have a ticket for both bus and tram for £3.80

For a passenger travelling between Sheffield and Rotherham the tram DayRider at £4.40 and Silver DayRider at £4.90 is still cheaper than the discounted South Yorkshire Connect at £5.30, at the end of the day you need to ask for the best ticket for the journeys you are planning on making.

21 hours ago, Andy C said:

For a passenger travelling between Sheffield and Rotherham the tram DayRider at £4.40 and Silver DayRider at £4.90 is still cheaper than the discounted South Yorkshire Connect at £5.30, at the end of the day you need to ask for the best ticket for the journeys you are planning on making.

The vast majority of supertram users do not go to Rotherham

My point is Andy that most passengers will be blissfully unaware that there is a better deal and will therefore simply ask for what they normally ask for and therefore it will be the responsibility of Stagecoach to make sure their customers are not ripped off.

22 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

The vast majority of supertram users do not go to Rotherham

My point is Andy that most passengers will be blissfully unaware that there is a better deal and will therefore simply ask for what they normally ask for and therefore it will be the responsibility of Stagecoach to make sure their customers are not ripped off.

And First: a FirstDay Sheffield ticket, valid only on First buses within Sheffield, is £4.20 if bought on the bus or £4 with the First Bus app, which is normally cheaper (albeit not my much) than a CityBus or CityWide day ticket, but this offer will make the FirstDay more expensive than the more flexible CityBus and CityWide day tickets.

You can also buy a CityBus or CityWide day ticket with the First Bus app. I would hope that the app will pick up the discounted prices, otherwise people who are not in-the-know will buy them at the undiscounted price without realising that they can buy them more cheaply on the bus.

This offer also means that whereas you normally have to do at least three single journeys in a day for a CityBus or CityWide day ticket to pay for itself, with the discount it will in some cases be worth getting one just for an out and back journey, thus giving you the flexibility to make unplanned additional journeys on the same day.

See also my thread on the First Bus app at 

If they do discount CityBus and CityWide day tickets bought using the app, there'll also be the question of whether such tickets bought at the discounted price will still be valid for a year (as with all other tickets bought using the app) or only until the discount expires.

If they'll still be valid for a year, then anyone in-the-know who uses CityBus and/or CityWide day tickets fairly regularly (or even only occasionally) might be tempted to buy large stocks of them at the discounted price before the discount expires.

Guest busdriver1

Given that despite what some say, we have some of the cheapest fares in the country already, would this money be better spent on the introduction of some trial services to areas that are not well served? A few years ago, the Welsh Government did just that and after the trial many of the services continued commercially. 

Certainly the local bus companies are not in a financial position to make this move unilaterally but with help and support would certainly be happy to give it a go and who knows, it could provide long term benefits for the locals in some areas where services are not there or are not good. It could also be of long term benefit to the PTE (in whatever guise Mr Jarvis is running it) by reducing the need for some tendered services. 

18 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Given that despite what some say, we have some of the cheapest fares in the country already, would this money be better spent on the introduction of some trial services to areas that are not well served? A few years ago, the Welsh Government did just that and after the trial many of the services continued commercially. 

Certainly the local bus companies are not in a financial position to make this move unilaterally but with help and support would certainly be happy to give it a go and who knows, it could provide long term benefits for the locals in some areas where services are not there or are not good. It could also be of long term benefit to the PTE (in whatever guise Mr Jarvis is running it) by reducing the need for some tendered services. 

Just to add evidence of this, I was in Cumbria last week. From Kendal bus station to Windermere bus station cost me £6.70 as a single, for the equivalent journey as city centre to meadowhall using the X1 which would be less than half at £3.00

Oh and just to make a point regarding the comment about company's being fined if they don't tell customers. 

1. They're under no obligation to. The onus is on the passenger, the information is out there. 

2. As of this morning, according to a driver I spoke with, they haven't as yet been told about this discount by the companies, at least in any official capacity 

Edited by Resident
Added more

Guest sibon

South Yorkshire slashes public transport prices.

Sheffield Forum moans.

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Just to add evidence of this, I was in Cumbria last week. From Kendal bus station to Windermere bus station cost me £6.70 as a single, for the equivalent journey as city centre to meadowhall using the X1 which would be less than half at £3.00

Oh and just to make a point regarding the comment about company's being fined if they don't tell customers. 

1. They're under no obligation to. The onus is on the passenger, the information is out there. 

2. As of this morning, according to a driver I spoke with, they haven't as yet been told about this discount by the companies, at least in any official capacity 

Exactly this.

25 minutes ago, sibon said:

South Yorkshire slashes public transport prices.

Sheffield Forum moans.

Hmmm... :huh:

Or perhaps, more accurately...

... man takes credit for someone else's actions... Sheffield Forumers see through the hype! :rant:

4 hours ago, Resident said:

IF and it is a very big IF they had any concept of customer service then they would be telling and selling their passengers the cheapest ticket for the journey. The fact that they have have informed their own staff would rather suggest that the message about these fares has probably not been widely communicated.

I find it interesting that for years there have been complaints on the railway about passengers not being able to find and buy the cheapest ticket and repeated call for the train companies to do something about it and ensure that passengers always get the cheapest ticket for their journey and have never seen people saying it is the responsibility of the passenger and yet when it comes to local transport you place the obligation on the customer to ensure they get the cheapest ticket