The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

Yes, I visit many town and cities (not so much over the last 18 months obviously) but although Sheffield city centre is unfortunately very much "over-supplied" with oxygen wasters/scroungers/spice-heads/beggars it's definitely no worse than Leeds/Manchester/Nottingham etc. 

10 hours ago, Martin C said:

Yes, I visit many town and cities (not so much over the last 18 months obviously) but although Sheffield city centre is unfortunately very much "over-supplied" with oxygen wasters/scroungers/spice-heads/beggars it's definitely no worse than Leeds/Manchester/Nottingham etc. 

I’m not sure that this is comforting to know, does anyone have news of anywhere in the U.K. that has not suffered from the existence of these miscreants?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I’m not sure that this is comforting to know, does anyone have news of anywhere in the U.K. that has not suffered from the existence of these miscreants?

Do you never wonder what's happened to create this nationwide 'surplus of miscreants?'

Something is going wrong somewhere...

Edited by Anna B

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Do you never wonder what's happened to create this nationwide 'surplus of miscreants?'

I’ve known a handful of very clever, well qualified guys who went off the rails due to booze, I suppose that these days they would have also discovered drugs. All have long died of their habit, but had families that kept them from living on the streets, I’m no expert but wonder if the ‘street life’ have families that have thrown in the towel.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Exactly the same thing that happened 100 years ago when there were beggars and alcoholics and vagrants and miscreants on the streets.

Can we stop talking as if this is some new concept.

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

I’ve known a handful of very clever, well qualified guys who went off the rails due to booze, I suppose that these days they would have also discovered drugs. All have long died of their habit, but had families that kept them from living on the streets, I’m no expert but wonder if the ‘street life’ have families that have thrown in the towel.

Worth a read....

https://www.sheffieldtribune.co.uk/p/ban-him-from-going-down-ecclesall

That's a good bit of writing by the Tribune.

Edited by butlers

Hardly surprising it's a vunerable group in the main.

Must be dispiriting for the care agency's to be so undermined by lack of funding.

That all said  ,they have done heroic work to reduce the effects of  so called " spice" in the city.

Think both the Star and Guardian reported Sheffield was leading the way 

On 04/08/2021 at 22:56, ECCOnoob said:

Oh god the humanity!!!   Vagrants asking for money - I'm so shocked and distresed!!!!  Good grief someone think of the children!!!!!

What on earth is wrong with people. When did we become so overly sensitive. Why is every unsightly part of life  constantly blown out of all sense of proportion and reality .

I have worked in the city centre for nearly 30 years. I have at least half a dozen of my friends and colleagues who live in the city centre and  never had experience of anything like the levels of harassment, encounters and supposed intimidation described by some people on here. 

There has always been beggars and vagrants drunkards and homeless people. Perhaps, just perhaps, in the wake of quiet high streets and empty stores it may be more visible. But let's not pretend this is some mass out of control crisis where people cant go from shop to shop without being accosted at least a dozen times.... It's nonsense.  

Perhaps people would prefer it if every city street, public communal square, park space and precinct was all gated, barricaded and controlled by heavy security so that only those with authorised reasons, financial means and genuine business can access them.  That would be better right?   

Interesting then, that when landlords tried to do that with private apartment blocks, courtyards, playground spaces and gardens or try to install physical devices to stop vagrants loitering around  doorways or sleeping in window ledges or messing up alcoves the Guardianistas  kick off about the disgusting behaviour of the greedy corporate monsters saying it's unfair to  poorer members of society.What do people actually want?   

If it's a open, public street, in an open public city centre some of those members of the public will be the less desirable ones. That is a fact of life.  

I wasn't too chuffed when I declined a 'woman' money and she spat at me.  I was a lone female and I am 4'11.  She certainly intimidated me

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

Hardly surprising it's a vunerable group in the main.

Must be dispiriting for the care agency's to be so undermined by lack of funding.

That all said  ,they have done heroic work to reduce the effects of  so called " spice" in the city.

Think both the Star and Guardian reported Sheffield was leading the way 

The number of times my Daughter finds a Spice head totally out of it in the shop doorway at work suggests they've a long way to go yet.

City centre shop Surrey Street usually about 9am....

11 minutes ago, Dales said:

I wasn't too chuffed when I declined a 'woman' money and she spat at me.  I was a lone female and I am 4'11.  She certainly intimidated me

Sorry to hear.

That is clearly a different circumstance and is assault. I assume the police are assisting you following this crime?