The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

I did wonder why the Pennine Centre has has £20 million spent to refurbish it ,as it looks an ok building.

Turns out there's 2  increasingly tight energy efficiency standards to be met by 2030 and lots of building will not be allowed to be let after 2025 unless they meet them.

27 minutes ago, butlers said:

Construction Index: Green light for £150m first phase of Sheffield’s West Bar.
https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/green-light-for-150m-first-phase-of-sheffields-west-bar

That's a bit of good news. Should provide a nice connection between city centre and kelham in due course.

I used to attend a monthly a autism social group down near sheffield castle  and walk through the city centre to fitzwilliam gate.

I hope they develop the castle into a big tourist attraction.

That area near castle market along waingate and haymarket is scruffy and run down and need some investment then you have debenhams on the moor thats going to leave a big empty space there are already a number of empty shop units on the moor

Looks like the the SCC owned Moorfoot building is destined to become flats, (sorry, that'll be luxury apartments), at some future point. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/plans-for-sheffields-giant-moorfoot-office-to-be-turned-into-flats-could-become-reality-next-year-3889767

Well they, SCC might as well make some use of the building before someone decides to slap a preservation / historic England / conservation order on the building. 

As SCC is the owner, I wonder if it'll be social housing or properties going to the highest bidder / sell to let? 

Having worked there at one time, at least there's a few parking spaces underneath. 

On 15/09/2021 at 11:11, Bargepole23 said:

https://vimeo.com/601704729

Gives an idea of the changes coming to the city centre. A real shame John Lewis won't be part of it, but plenty of other good things.

Couldn't access video without joining 'vimeo' and they wanted a subscription. 

Is this right or a con?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Couldn't access video without joining 'vimeo' and they wanted a subscription. 

Is this right or a con?

Didn't ask for a sign up or subscription for me....dunno.

Read an article yesterday in The Star, that stated that some of the upper unit of Orchard Square are to be turned into apartments as nobody seems to want them as retail units. 

On 05/09/2021 at 12:12, craigmason said:

I used to attend a monthly a autism social group down near sheffield castle  and walk through the city centre to fitzwilliam gate.

I hope they develop the castle into a big tourist attraction.

That area near castle market along waingate and haymarket is scruffy and run down and need some investment then you have debenhams on the moor thats going to leave a big empty space there are already a number of empty shop units on the moor

It's going to be hard to develop 2 or 3 metres of the very bottom of a wall into a  big tourist attraction. 

If there was anything to look at, they wouldn't have covered it up 60 years ago when they built the castle Market.

• Like 1