The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

On 27/07/2021 at 16:37, HeHasRisen said:

Wont be long until you know who pops into this thread to bemoan the loss of the Castlegate market.  Something something historic trading area something something loads of free parking something.

You talkin to me ????

I mostly agree with this, but, lovely as they are the Lyceum and Crucible stages are not of sufficient size to take the big London Productions. We also need a prestigious world renowned National ballet/ opera/ theatre company resident here in Sheffield to give us a certain kudos in theatre land. We always seem to miss out to Leeds and Manchester. We really are seen as quite parochial.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I mostly agree with this, but, lovely as they are the Lyceum and Crucible stages are not of sufficient size to take the big London Productions. We also need a prestigious world renowned National ballet/ opera/ theatre company resident here in Sheffield to give us a certain kudos in theatre land. We always seem to miss out to Leeds and Manchester. We really are seen as quite parochial.

And yet, Sheffield Theatres have been awarded the best regional theatres awards by The Stage, 4 times since the award was established in 2011.

We might not get the big West End shows but those running the theatres are clearly doing something right & we've productions premiered here in Sheffield, such as 'Everyone's Talking About Jamie' which transferred to the West End. 

Also wasn't established actor, Sam West, the artistic director at The Crucible for a number of years?

Edited by Baron99

On 28/07/2021 at 12:07, Bargepole23 said:

If I knew what/who/where Wilson Gomperts was then maybe.....before my time I think Jeffrey.

I thought he was referring to Wilson Peck.

The future is a Tale of Two Cities....

Greater Sheffield has less and less need to regularly visit the centre (not helped by transport decisions) which has led to it's decline in the past as with the centre being almost completely commercial, retail & leisure back then it withered without people coming in.

That's why the centre was becoming a crumbling  wreck with more and more empty premises.

However, the addition of so much housing into the centre, regardless of whether it's permanent or seasonal/educational occupancy,  has arrested the  model of decline common to the end of the last century.

So despite less people visiting the centre will revive as it's commercial aspect will remodel to serve the new on site captive residential customer base, who won't venture far outside (most won't have cars).

So Greater Sheffield will continue to use the outer facilities and nearby towns and only dip in on the odd occasion, but the centre will live on as the new Inner Sheffield, a self contained town within a city. 

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

Another potential use for the Library building, a larger theatre/arts space, although I fear it would dilute the Lyceum/Crucible offering.

Then utilise John Lewis building as the central library, in part.

10 hours ago, buckeroo said:

The future is a Tale of Two Cities....

Greater Sheffield has less and less need to regularly visit the centre (not helped by transport decisions) which has led to it's decline in the past as with the centre being almost completely commercial, retail & leisure back then it withered without people coming in.

That's why the centre was becoming a crumbling  wreck with more and more empty premises.

However, the addition of so much housing into the centre, regardless of whether it's permanent or seasonal/educational occupancy,  has arrested the  model of decline common to the end of the last century.

So despite less people visiting the centre will revive as it's commercial aspect will remodel to serve the new on site captive residential customer base, who won't venture far outside (most won't have cars).

So Greater Sheffield will continue to use the outer facilities and nearby towns and only dip in on the odd occasion, but the centre will live on as the new Inner Sheffield, a self contained town within a city. 

Where would you see the boundary between Inner Sheffield and Greater Sheffield? Access to the centre is easy, loads of buses, from Ecclesall/London Road corridors. I imagine it's pretty easy on tram routes also.

I welcome the huge increase in people resident in the centre, whether they be students, or young workers. They spend money, which is the lifeblood of shops/bars/restaurants, and keep them alive.

In the sixties and seventies and even into the eighties, Sheffield's night life and clubs were legendary. Had Elvis come to the UK to perform in the seventies, outside of London the Fiesta in Sheffield would have been the place he appeared.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

Pretty much agree with Buckeroo. It’s a likely and not necessarily undesirable scenario. I could see a younger me might be attracted to the idea of city centre living but the lack of parking would probably be a deal breaker personally.

16 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Pretty much agree with Buckeroo. It’s a likely and not necessarily undesirable scenario. I could see a younger me might be attracted to the idea of city centre living but the lack of parking would probably be a deal breaker personally.

I'm 62 and (by choice) never learned to drive.  City Living suits me perfectly.

These days town looks amazing now in places, I hardly recognised the place when I had a mooch around recently.

Unless the council start doing something to attract shops it won't be worth going  

I would have thought Sheffield will be the first on 20 smaller jl like they promised 

On 29/07/2021 at 18:09, Anna B said:

I agree partly  with that about the lyceum  not been able to take big shows 

Limited in doing much to it  

Sheffield was having a purpose built theatre where gullies  is now in the yes project  but its crying out for a decent sized theatre for amdrams too