The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Incredible the double-lives so many people on these forums lead. On the one hand they will tell you that they 'never go in to town any more, there's nothing there', but on the other hand they all seem to be experts about what terrible, awful monsters are to be found down every street.

The truth is the permanent population in the city centre has increased massively over the last decade, and even many student flats find tenants for the out-of-term periods over the summer.  Stop attacking residential developments. They do far more for the city centre economy than a few people whinging on an internet forum.

The retail offering is certainly not what it was, or what Leeds, Manchester can offer now, but it's actually probably better than it was 10 years ago. The Moor is a pretty good success story to be honest, and the second Heart of the City project is going to provide space for new retailers and businesses. Sure, it means you have to find new uses for areas like Castlegate & Fargate but we're already seeing investment in new residences, University, entertainment, food, offices, etc in both those areas.

It's not just a shopping centre with warehouses around it any more. It's changing to try and become a diverse place for people to live, work, and do everything else in. It's a tough world trying to make your city centre competitive these days, and I'm far from the councils biggest fan, but it's not all that 1-dimensional.

I can appreciate the rose-tinted view of people who remember the shopping mecca of the 1980s, and yes, it's a shame that was lost, but honestly, city centres need to be SOOOO much more than a shopping centre these days, and to ignore all the good investment and development of the last 2x decades is ignorant and damaging.

What a weird comment to make about 2x nationally-renowned theatres and the Showroom Cinema, to name but three institutions in the theatre/entertainment land of Sheffield city centre.

👌

Unless everyone agrees 100% with the rose tinted specs brigade they are anti overseas students and live their lives to see the return of Redgates and The Hole In The Road. Also any first hand memories and recollections are scorned upon, well done guys you are well on the way to be far left losers, your masters in Thrush Central will be well proud of you.

Wont be long until you know who pops into this thread to bemoan the loss of the Castlegate market.  Something something historic trading area something something loads of free parking something.

But the return of Redgates would be nice. And Andrews stationers. And the Hole in the Road!

And Cole Brothers, for that matter.

Ringworm too, ey ,them weer days

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But the return of Redgates would be nice. And Andrews stationers. And the Hole in the Road!

And Cole Brothers, for that matter.

I agree on Redgates, Coles and Andrews but Hole in the Road? No thanks!

3 hours ago, butlers said:

Ringworm too, ey ,them weer days

another outbreak of Cholera would be nice, what with it being part of Sheffield's local heritage and all.

15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I agree on Redgates, Coles and Andrews but Hole in the Road? No thanks!

OK. Can I swap Hole in the Road for Wilson Gomperts, then, please?

Just now, Jeffrey Shaw said:

OK. Can I swap Hole in the Road for Wilson Gomperts, then, please?

If I knew what/who/where Wilson Gomperts was then maybe.....before my time I think Jeffrey.

21 hours ago, crookesey said:

Unless everyone agrees 100% with the rose tinted specs brigade they are anti overseas students and live their lives to see the return of Redgates and The Hole In The Road. Also any first hand memories and recollections are scorned upon, well done guys you are well on the way to be far left losers, your masters in Thrush Central will be well proud of you.

Nope, that's not true at all, but if it makes you feel better by playing a hard-done-by victim, you go for it.

Not sure what politics has to do with these opinions, so presumably you just chuck 'far left' at anyone who doesn't agree 100% with you? That's telling...

Thrush Central?! What the hell are you on about?!

18 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Nope, that's not true at all, but if it makes you feel better by playing a hard-done-by victim, you go for it.

Not sure what politics has to do with these opinions, so presumably you just chuck 'far left' at anyone who doesn't agree 100% with you? That's telling...

Thanks for that, I never implied that I have ever felt ‘hard done by’ or a ‘victim’ of anything, what the hell are you on about? You’re obviously too young to recall The Man From Uncle, Thrush Central was their HQ and was used by us youngsters to describe places of authority, such as town halls.

Edited by crookesey

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Thrush central was actually the bad guys.....

U.N.C.L.E.'s primary adversary was THRUSH . The original series never divulged who or what it stands for the Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity,[