The Future Of Sheffield City Centre

I am a MSc Urban Planning student at the University of Sheffield and I am currently working on a research project about the future of Sheffield City Centre post covid-19.

I would love to hear opinions from residents, about how the city centre makes them feel, what they would like to see change, but also what they already value about the city centre.

It should take about 10 minutes, and I would be so grateful if you could complete it!

Thanks so much!

https://qfreeaccountssjc1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b2FB7YYLcK4tRtk

Guest busdriver1

Yuppy flats, Student flats, kebab shops and charity shops. THAT is the future.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Yuppy flats, Student flats, kebab shops and charity shops. THAT is the future.

Yuppy flats? The Eighties is over.

Still, you must be right, you used a fully capitalised word to emphasise the point.

Edited by Bargepole23

Meadowhall IS the new centre. It shows when all the city centre is becoming is a new future ghetto of over priced box studio rooms, sorry "City living apartments" that most people can't afford, or are deserted through the summer when students return home...

4 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Meadowhall IS the new centre. It shows when all the city centre is becoming is a new future ghetto of over priced box studio rooms, sorry "City living apartments" that most people can't afford, or are deserted through the summer when students return home...

:hihi:

aka Yuppy flats! ;)

It wil evolve into whatever it’s residents/workers desire it to evolve into. I don’t need it or Meadowhall, there are enough retail outlets in South West Sheffield to satisfy my requirements. It could have already been theatre/entertainment land, sadly Sheffield CC were having none of it and the likes of Manchester and Leeds stepped in, we shall just have to wait and see.

Edited by crookesey

one things for sure it cant get any worse ..........or can it?

1 hour ago, MICK BADGER said:

one things for sure it cant get any worse ..........or can it?

You’ve got more faith in Sheffield CC than I have. ☹️

Here we go again. Any tiny mention of the word development in the city and we have the same tired old comments from the same dinosaurs stuck with their rose tinted glasses harping on about life in the past being all sooooo  much better.

Waaa waaa don't like change.  Bring back Redgates and Hole in't Road.  

The city, its purpose and it's entire features are evolving. The world has moved on beyond just bloody shops.  Bring on the next generation of yuppies in their poncey flats I say.  They are the ones investing and bringing money into this place to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern world.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Yeah, boo to all them students ,the overseas ones alone spend £120 million plus in the city.

The city centre is becoming residential think the numbers living there have increased tenfold over last 20 years and theres still big demand,higher than Leeds from a report in the YP a while back 

Edited by butlers

Incredible the double-lives so many people on these forums lead. On the one hand they will tell you that they 'never go in to town any more, there's nothing there', but on the other hand they all seem to be experts about what terrible, awful monsters are to be found down every street.

The truth is the permanent population in the city centre has increased massively over the last decade, and even many student flats find tenants for the out-of-term periods over the summer.  Stop attacking residential developments. They do far more for the city centre economy than a few people whinging on an internet forum.

The retail offering is certainly not what it was, or what Leeds, Manchester can offer now, but it's actually probably better than it was 10 years ago. The Moor is a pretty good success story to be honest, and the second Heart of the City project is going to provide space for new retailers and businesses. Sure, it means you have to find new uses for areas like Castlegate & Fargate but we're already seeing investment in new residences, University, entertainment, food, offices, etc in both those areas.

It's not just a shopping centre with warehouses around it any more. It's changing to try and become a diverse place for people to live, work, and do everything else in. It's a tough world trying to make your city centre competitive these days, and I'm far from the councils biggest fan, but it's not all that 1-dimensional.

I can appreciate the rose-tinted view of people who remember the shopping mecca of the 1980s, and yes, it's a shame that was lost, but honestly, city centres need to be SOOOO much more than a shopping centre these days, and to ignore all the good investment and development of the last 2x decades is ignorant and damaging.

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

It could have already been theatre/entertainment land, sadly Sheffield SC were having none of it

What a weird comment to make about 2x nationally-renowned theatres and the Showroom Cinema, to name but three institutions in the theatre/entertainment land of Sheffield city centre.

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Here we go again. Any tiny mention of the word development in the city and we have the same tired old comments from the same dinosaurs stuck with their rose tinted glasses harping on about life in the past being all sooooo  much better.

Waaa waaa don't like change.  Bring back Redgates and Hole in't Road.  

The city, its purpose and it's entire features are evolving. The world has moved on beyond just bloody shops.  Bring on the next generation of yuppies in their poncey flats I say.  They are the the ones investing and bringing money into this place to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern world.

5 minutes ago, butlers said:

Yeah, boo to all them students ,the overseas ones alone spend £120 million plus in the city.

The city centre is becoming residential think the numbers living there have increased tenfold over last 20 years and theres still big demand,higher than Leeds from a report in the YP a while back 

👌