Sheffield General Cemetery Cd

Doing some family history and have discovered that a great grand aunt is buried in Sheffield General Cemetery.

I've been looking at the burial research page and see that there is a CD available to purchase.

I then realised that my laptop no longer has a CD drive so no point in buying it!

And the 'Contact us' link does not seem to work on the Research page.

Does anyone have the CD to confirm that she is there?

Her name is Edith Ellen FLINT nee Prior.

BIRTH 26 FEB 1879 • Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England

DEATH 2 APRIL 1941 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding, England

I would then be happy to make a donation to Sheffield General Cemetery Trust to try and locate the grave.

I'm also curious as to how a young girl 120 miles away aged 20 might have met someone from Sheffield around about 1900.

Thanks

Edited by 56cheffy

Yes she is there . Entry states : Consecrated area   Burial  Number 36981  Grave plot  P1 number 182  Date of death 2 April 1941 date of burial 7 April 1941 Name Edith Ellen Flint age 62 married address  31 Parsonage Street. She was born 1879 according to the MI. Sheffield General Cemeteries Trust have a website  gencem.org. Don't the census returns help re why she went to Sheffield ?

Hope that helps, John 

Edited by johnpm
additional info

2 hours ago, johnpm said:

Yes she is there . Entry states : Consecrated area   Burial  Number 36981  Grave plot  P1 number 182  Date of death 2 April 1941 date of burial 7 April 1941 Name Edith Ellen Flint age 62 married address  31 Parsonage Street. She was born 1879 according to the MI. Sheffield General Cemeteries Trust have a website  gencem.org. Don't the census returns help re why she went to Sheffield ?

Hope that helps, John 

Hi John

Many thanks for all of that.

On the 1891 census she is with her family aged 13.

On the 1901 she is married to Charles Henry Flint who is a 'Stone Dresser'.

Not sure if that would involve him travelling what would be a long distance then.

I know that her family stayed in Woodstock so it was not her family's work that caused her to leave. 

Her sister is my great grandmother.

Looks like  Parsonage Street is still there, but no 31 may have been demolished.

No. 31 Parsonage Street is actually still there. Here is a "Google" photo.

31.jpg

Hi 56cheffy. Nothing to do with your Aunt.  

My laptop does not have a cd player' I bought one off ebay that attaches by wire to the USB socket. Works just great.

Didn't cost a fortune either under £20 . Just a suggestion.

39 minutes ago, blackhill said:

Hi 56cheffy. Nothing to do with your Aunt.  

My laptop does not have a cd player' I bought one off ebay that attaches by wire to the USB socket. Works just great.

Didn't cost a fortune either under £20 . Just a suggestion.

Thanks blackhill

On 23/07/2021 at 07:16, 56cheffy said:

Doing some family history and have discovered that a great grand aunt is buried in Sheffield General Cemetery.

I've been looking at the burial research page and see that there is a CD available to purchase.

I then realised that my laptop no longer has a CD drive so no point in buying it!

And the 'Contact us' link does not seem to work on the Research page.

Does anyone have the CD to confirm that she is there?

Her name is Edith Ellen FLINT nee Prior.

BIRTH 26 FEB 1879 • Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England

DEATH 2 APRIL 1941 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding, England

I would then be happy to make a donation to Sheffield General Cemetery Trust to try and locate the grave.

I'm also curious as to how a young girl 120 miles away aged 20 might have met someone from Sheffield around about 1900.

Thanks

Regarding travelling , many of us who have researched our families found that they moved to Sheffield back in the 1860's largely because they  were  poorly paid agricultural labourers or worked in agriculture related trades (my gt grandad was a joiner & wheelwright) & they became aware of the many jobs available in Sheffield particularly in the steelworks. My family came from Lincolnshire & it is no surprise that this movement of people followed expansion of the railways. It seems surprising that information of job availability became known some distances away but it did probably by word of mouth or possibly newspapers.

Woodstock is close to Blenheim Palace, working with stone could he have been there!

Edited by smary

1 hour ago, smary said:

Woodstock is close to Blenheim Palace, working with stone could he have been there!

Why didn't I think of that? I lived there long enough!😀

Maybe some repair work.

I have discovered that she followed her sister Kate Constance Prior who married Samuel Johnson in Sheffield in 1892.

Kate also died in Sheffield January 1953, but I don't know which cemetery she is buried in!