Advise Re A Brick Wrap Around House

So we have seen a pre war prefab house with a brick wrap around for sale 

Cash only 

I asked agents why not mortgage able as has brick says only a couple of lenders will mortgage one is Halifax but you have to meet a criteria 

She says it was wrapped and underpinned 10 years ago,owner has all paperwork none of the other houses on road have it done 

What's people's thoughts on this?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter a jot what 'we' think about it - at the end, it'll be the mortgage company which decides.

I know the city of Belfast had an enormous number of prefabs built during/after/because of the blitz, but since the late 60's there's been a concerted effort to gradually remove and replace with 'proper' council housing.

Just wondered if the underpinning was anything to worry about or brick wrap around 

Can't seem to find anything out thought someone may have had this done 

steer well clear unless you are living there for a considerable time or its your final home.

It seems that there were different methods of construction and some might have contained asbestos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom

https://www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/57366/external-brick-skim-to-a-prefab-property

If the Council Building Control have signed off the underpinning then presumably that's ok.

I didn't think prefabs were built before the war

Odd to under pin a prefab usually concrete raft.

I think somebody hasn't put the effort in about getting details correct, perhaps a deceased previous owner?

I don't know much about the real prefab bungalows built just after the war but often called prefabs the concrete slab construction of houses such as reema built in 50's/60's as not built "conventionally"  made mortgages difficult as with steel or wood built houses.

The  only real issue was the spalling of the concrete which could avoid with treatment, unfortunately as most owned by council a bit of appropriate maintenance will never happen. They have  new brick/ block walls built on the outside on their own new foundation with new joists supported on this wall so the original concrete walls are obsolete, i don't know how they are standing the test of time as don't have anything to do with them anymore but with the 2 sets of walls they should be the strongest houses in Sheffield. After this work they are classed as built traditionally and a mortgage should not be a problem. Loads of older houses have asbestos, i would swap having to have asbestos removed to having to have a new roof on my crappy 120 year old house any day.

There’s a reason why it’s cheap. You need to make your own judgement.

Sorry for being blunt but you can't gift wrap a turd (well you can but its still a turd)

There are so many different types of non traditional constructed houses out there.

It is not mentioned which one we are talking about here.

Concrete houses are a prime example.

As a general rule the shuttered & poured in on site are of sound construction & mortgage-able.

The slab type constructed ones are a different matter even if hidden with a 'Wrap' often with mortgage

company's shying away. 

Area (& to an extent re salable value) would probably be my biggest concern.

A poor Area with social problems can have the whole estate re-wrapped (& even its named changed)

it don't make it somewhere desirable to live.

As an investment to rent out there are some pretty good bargains to be had out there. 

Don't forget what ever you do to the property it will never be mortgage-able & limited to any 

resale being in Cash. 

Take further advice but if the area & house is somewhere you want to live in, why not.

Best of luck.

Edited by Rockers rule
Spelling - oop's

Sheffield is plenty big enough, there's more than enough standard housing to go around, you don't need to bother with odd non-standard stuff that mortgage lenders don't like.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies we will keep looking for a brick built house 🏠