Rising Prices

None or very little interest paid savings in the bank !

On 19/07/2021 at 11:01, HeHasRisen said:

You only pay £40 a month?!?! I have no sympathy 😂tha

Thank Mrs Thatcher selling off the gas & electric industry to her cronies, I bet very few of the general public who bought into it have now sold them on,and had a holiday on the proceeds in benidorm !  🤣😂

On 18/07/2021 at 22:22, Padders said:

Due to covid people are now holidaying in the UK.

The traditional resorts have cottoned on to the fact that a vast influx of people will be visiting their facilities.

I've just visited Whitby, Staithes, and Bridlington, the prices are astronomical.

Cup of coffee  £2-20 minimum.

Pint of beer, lucky if you can find one under £4.

Fish n Chips around the £10 mark.

2 years ago my favourite meal in Brid... A giant hot dog for £1... now £2-50.

Anybody else noticed this, or is just me being a tight old git.

I understand what you mean Padders. 

"The price was a shock’: Britons on holidaying in UK this summer. The Guardian speaks to four people braving eye-watering price hikes to holiday in Britain this year".

With more and more people staying in the UK for their holidays, prices for campsites and rented accommodation have rocketed this year. Despite this many in need of a break have decided to accept the hike. The Guardian spoke to four people about their holiday plans this summer.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/aug/07/price-shock-britons-on-holidaying-in-uk-this-summer.

On 05/08/2021 at 12:00, El Cid said:

Err,  is it my imagination or were the oil companies unable to give away their product this time time last year?

Nobody was driving, flying or sailing anywhere and their tankers were full of crude oil just sat in dock?

Given many of us will still be working from home for the forseeable future, we're unlikely to be driving, flying or sailing anywhere for a good while yet 😐

We go to Whitby every year and to be honest fish and chips there has always been eye watteringly expensive....it's a tourist place (plaice).

Yes Whitby seems to be a popular place. I remember going there as a kid, it was a sunny day and lots of people around. They were queuing outside The Magpie.

It's about £6 for Fish and Chips at shop near me.

Edited by Zinger549

18 hours ago, Janus said:

I understand what you mean Padders. 

"The price was a shock’: Britons on holidaying in UK this summer. The Guardian speaks to four people braving eye-watering price hikes to holiday in Britain this year".

With more and more people staying in the UK for their holidays, prices for campsites and rented accommodation have rocketed this year. Despite this many in need of a break have decided to accept the hike. The Guardian spoke to four people about their holiday plans this summer.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/aug/07/price-shock-britons-on-holidaying-in-uk-this-summer.

It's been cheaper to holiday abroad than in Britain for a long time. Now with people being forced to holiday here companies are hiking the prices even higher. Stick a bed in a tent and call it 'Glamping' and the price doubles. 

Again, many hard working families are being priced out of even a simple Summer break. The great divide grows.

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's been cheaper to holiday abroad than in Britain for a long time. Now with people being forced to holiday here companies are hiking the prices even higher. Stick a bed in a tent and call it 'Glamping' and the price doubles. 

Again, many hard working families are being priced out of even a simple Summer break. The great divide grows.

Hard working families also run those British seaside cafes and the like, that those same people now wanting to use them cheaply have ignored for years. Now they come back to them and expect prices to have stayed the same. Complaints about paying more than 2 quid for a pint....I can't pay less than 4 quid in my local pub for a pint.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Hard working families also run those British seaside cafes and the like, that those same people now wanting to use them cheaply have ignored for years. Now they come back to them and expect prices to have stayed the same. Complaints about paying more than 2 quid for a pint....I can't pay less than 4 quid in my local pub for a pint.

Well said.   People need to realise that businesses are not all run by greedy corporations ripping off the "ordinary working man"

Edited by ECCOnoob

28 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well said.   People need to realise that businesses are not all run by greedy corporations ripping off the "ordinary working man"

I think you'll find that the majority of caravan parks have now been bought up by the big parent companies. They might look the same, have the same old name etc, but they belong to the big guys. Carehomes, vets, dentists, all going the same way, to name but a few.

Nobody wants hardworking cafe owners etc to go short, but some of the prices charged have doubled, pricing out their regular customers. 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I think you'll find that the majority of caravan parks have now been bought up by the big parent companies. They might look the same, have the same old name etc, but they belong to the big guys. Carehomes, vets, dentists, all going the same way, to name but a few.  Nobody wants hardworking cafe owners etc to go short, but some of the prices charged have doubled, pricing out their regular customers. 

I am puzzled as to know why  whether bussinesses are large or small makes a difference. Should I be avoiding Butlins because its a large organisation?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I think you'll find that the majority of caravan parks have now been bought up by the big parent companies. They might look the same, have the same old name etc, but they belong to the big guys. Carehomes, vets, dentists, all going the same way, to name but a few.

Nobody wants hardworking cafe owners etc to go short, but some of the prices charged have doubled, pricing out their regular customers. 

What regular customers? That's the point.

Those customers didnt  give a hoot about showing loyalty when they found their cheaper alternatives abroad. They were more than happy to flock to the Med or Eastern Europe on their bargain basement package deals offered by  super sized brutalist concrete jungle Hotel complexes doing their poolside fish and chips with a pint of watered-down lager for €2.99.

Now suddenly people are forced to take holiday back within the UK, they are realising what the real cost of offering such services are. They are seeing the impact when a UK business (corporations or otherwise) can't have the same advantages of buying power, mass marketing cheap property, cheap land rate, cheap utilities and cheap unregulated wages gained by those in some locations abroad.

It's not all about simply dismissing it is rip off britain.  There are far too many consumers who seem to want the world for next to nothing prices. There seems to be a complete distortion  as to the true value of things, particularly anything that's in the smaller, local, more independent type of business.

I often see  lots of faux campaigning and championing about people who say they are prepared to pay increased prices for a fair wage to staff.....Lots of rhetoric about buying British..... lots of discussion about people be more conscious, supporting their local businesses, being prepared to pay more for for more local,  personal service and better quality etc.   

Lets see how much people put their money where their mouth is literally.  As the world  starts reopening let's see how quickly those bargain basement all-inclusive brits in the Sun resorts fill up.