Rising Prices

Rip off Britain...

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

The rate of inflation is calculated by the contents of a specified shopping basket.  During time things are added to the shopping basket and things are taken out. 

So wages increase as the price of shopping increases, hopefully.

But then people cannot afford to buy a house!

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Rip off Britain...

Nope that is just an old cliche.

Go try buying some basic white goods from a retailer in spain and see the price almost double for the same basic brand you get over here.

Go fill up your grocery basket at your average supermarket in the States, add on the sales tax and then do the price comparison.  They might do the gigantic size portions but you will be surprised how much more the net cost can be compared to our own stores.

Go to places like the southern French coastline, Italian Lakes, Iceland, Scandinavian countries and see the prices of basic restaurant items or drinks in bars.

Yes our property prices may be booming at the moment compared to other parts of Europe, particularly Eastern Europe - but take a look at why most of the local residents living tiny apartments rather than houses with a bit of land at the back and front. Take a look at the wage discrepancies around the world and particularly places where there is still no minimum wage.

It is all far more nuanced tham some simplistic catch-all phrase.

A strong standard of basic monetary education and personal economic responsibility is what many people in this country are lacking.   A little bit too much "I want" "I demand" and "I expect" with too little consideration of who, how and when exactly is going to be paid for.

The problems are far more deep-rooted than just complaining about increases to prices.

Edited by ECCOnoob

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Rip off Britain...

Picked up a copy of The Star for the first time in ages last Saturday.  Inside they do a grocery price comparison for a large number of food items, comparing the prices between Tesco; Sainsburys; Morrisons; Waitrose;  Aldi; M&S & Jacks (? - I've no idea).  You wouldn't believe the price differences for a large number of items.  In some cases, Waitrose & M&S  were selling products cheaper than Aldi although Aldi came out the cheapest overall. 

It's all down to how you shop & whether you have the time & spare the effort of going to different shops.  Also, don't forget, in many cases, the large food stores / supermarkets have money off discounts & loyalty cards offering money back. 

27 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So wages increase as the price of shopping increases, hopefully.

Doing that creates an automatic inflation spiral though, although a bit of inflation can also be a good thing.

But then people cannot afford to buy a house!

That is also because there are not enough rental housing being built be it affordable social housing or otherwise. If too much rental housing is built the house prices would become lower and people who have bought one could then get into negative equity. Their home could then be worth less than what they originally paid for it.

Edited by apelike

Wagon Wheels are smaller than they used to be as well

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, butlers said:

That’s because of the improvements in wagon design.

30 minutes ago, butlers said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I'd have thought they'd actually get bigger with inflation... :confused:

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Rip off Britain...

Price increases are down to lack of staff, so wages have had to increase to try and get staff, as well as price increases due to issues transporting goods around the world due to a combination of covid and brexit.

8 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You only pay £40 a month?!?! I have no sympathy 😂

And about £20 a month for heating, even in winter 🤪

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Jacks (? - I've no idea). 

Jacks is Tescos take on Aldi, there's one at Kilner Way retail park.
Why they couldn't have created the brand in existing stores instead of buying new buildings, hiring all new staff and all the supply chain that goes with it is beyond me....surely it's cost them a small fortune?

I’m certain that I notice any significant commodity changes, motor fuel being the easiest to spot,  our home energy costs have decreased due to switching supplier and our weekly supermarket bill varies very little. Being brought up in a Labour environment I do recall the general moan of the day being how much prices had increased due to the Tories, I can’t recall these one way or the other, but then again I do find this sort of activity incredibly boring, so why the hell am I posting? 😜

Edited by crookesey

On 18/07/2021 at 22:22, Padders said:

Due to covid people are now holidaying in the UK.

The traditional resorts have cottoned on to the fact that a vast influx of people will be visiting their facilities.

I've just visited Whitby, Staithes, and Bridlington, the prices are astronomical.

Cup of coffee  £2-20 minimum.

Pint of beer, lucky if you can find one under £4.

Fish n Chips around the £10 mark.

2 years ago my favourite meal in Brid... A giant hot dog for £1... now £2-50.

Anybody else noticed this, or is just me being a tight old git.

Hello Padders.

Your extortionate £4 Beer,

now £2.50 Hot Dog,

& Fish 'n' Chips at a £10

are only dear if you buy them.

The £2.20 cup of Coffee makes me laugh and always has.

I love my Coffee & my fav brand can be bought for around the same price for a jar full of the stuff.

OK the Scottish frugal-ness might be showing through

but we have reevaluated our eating habits partly down to the emergence of CoriV .

Casseroles, stews etc can easily last a couple of days each so that's the weeks menu sorted.

Fish 'n' chips are over priced, go for the cheaper (Yorkshire) Fish cake.

If iv'e a full plate i'm happy.

just off to buy some Black Pudding & some 23p tins of Mushy peas.

Iv'e already got the Mint sauce so that's me sorted for dinner.

Keep inflation down - find an alternative.