Rising Prices

Due to covid people are now holidaying in the UK.

The traditional resorts have cottoned on to the fact that a vast influx of people will be visiting their facilities.

I've just visited Whitby, Staithes, and Bridlington, the prices are astronomical.

Cup of coffee  £2-20 minimum.

Pint of beer, lucky if you can find one under £4.

Fish n Chips around the £10 mark.

2 years ago my favourite meal in Brid... A giant hot dog for £1... now £2-50.

Anybody else noticed this, or is just me being a tight old git.

I think it's a bit of both. People know they can charge a bit more so they will.

Guest sibon

Prices have been rising steadily since the Brexit vote. I estimate that my weekly shop is up about 15% over the last two years. I do buy a lot of French stuff though, which might explain it.

I’ve just got back from Saltburn, I must say, I thought that the pubs and restaurants were quite reasonably priced.

So why do the media report inflation as being less than 2%, its almost like the figures have been fixed.

House prices are being reported as still continuing to rise sharply.

I don’t know about house prices increasing, For Sale boards might as well be on the lesser spotted list. However what I have noticed is a lot of seriously expensive extensions in progress, also quite a few small new build developments on plots that must have be waiting for a dip in the large site builds.

I’ve not noticed food and drink prices increasing in the supermarkets, however what I have noticed is shortages in certain areas, these being the quality items such as free range meats, and fresh fish.

Energy prices seem to have taken a jump too.

Ours is up for renewal, currently we use roughly £40 a month, and the best prices I've managed to find are around £55 a month...that's a huge jump!

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Businesses in tourist areas are going to increase prices if they have more visitors as a consequence of less British people  holidaying abroad.  Basic standard economics involving supply and demand.

Not taking a chance of going abroad this year due to all the Covid issues & all the associated faff & expenses of taking tests etc, so my wife & I are looking at basing ourselves in North Yorkshire & doing a bit of touring.  I've been checking Airbnb, (yes I know the add to costs to make their money), but even a small place  for the two of us at the start of Sept, we're looking at close to £1,000 for a fortnight, self catering.  Normally at that time of year, we'd be in Malta & would only be paying around £150 more, including flights. 

As you say, supply & demand & I'd also say some businesses making up for lost income from the r the past 18 months.  Then again, nobody is putting a gun to our heads to pay these prices. 

2 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Energy prices seem to have taken a jump too.

Ours is up for renewal, currently we use roughly £40 a month, and the best prices I've managed to find are around £55 a month...that's a huge jump!

You only pay £40 a month?!?! I have no sympathy 😂

A lot of diy materials seem to have gone up in price as well. 

1 minute ago, francypants said:

Even mi fish n' chips have gone up Padders.    😱

Shock and Horror,

Don't go to Whitby, not much change from a tenner.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Shock and Horror,

Don't go to Whitby, not much change from a tenner.

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!

I wouldn't be able to swallow them at that price  .....  I'd choke !     🤣