Question For An Electrician

Hi, our fuse box is in an enclosed place in the old pantry. We would like to move it to an unused cupboard in the living room. It’s around 7 or 8 metres away.  Will it be ok to get that done along with some rewiring or are there problems with the distance? Thanks a lot. 

I had this situation.

No great problem.

From.memory if the" fuse board" is more than 3 m from the  electric companies  servicehead  a isolating fuse has to be fitted..

Fuseboards go by Consumer Units these days.

As above.

If you need the fuse box (consumer unit) moving then you would probably need a complete rewire to cope with the difference in distance of the wiring you presently have.

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

As above.

If you need the fuse box (consumer unit) moving then you would probably need a complete rewire to cope with the difference in distance of the wiring you presently have.

Yes I realise that. I was interested in the length of cables to the proposed new fuse board. Thanks 

1 hour ago, apelike said:

As above.

Couldn't the existing cables be extended by means of junction boxes? As long as the earth fault loop impedance test readings for each circuit were still ok. I cannot see that 8 metres additional length would make much difference.

6 minutes ago, sovrappeso said:

Couldn't the existing cables be extended by means of junction boxes? As long as the earth fault loop impedance test readings for each circuit were still ok. I cannot see that 8 metres additional length would make much difference.

It’s not worth it thanks. The existing fuse box is bang next to the meter. 

5 hours ago, gluedtopc said:

It’s not worth it thanks. The existing fuse box is bang next to the meter. 

Do you want to move the meter as well as consumer unit? If the cable length from meter to CU is more than 3m, then you'll need to fit a fused switch at the meter end of the cable.

Edited by Bargepole23

Thanks for that. No, the meters’ staying where it is. 

1 minute ago, gluedtopc said:

Thanks for that. No, the meters’ staying where it is. 

In which case, just extend the cables to the new location from the old with a junction box where the CU was.

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

In which case, just extend the cables to the new location from the old with a junction box where the CU was.

That’s the idea. My opening question was wether the distance to the new consumer unit was too long but posters on here seem to say it’s ok.  Thanks.