Freesat V Freeview

I recently moved from S4 to 12.  Whereas I could always get all the freeview channels with no problem, I now find quite a lot are missing. In particular channels 18 to 25 is one group.  I also get picture breaking up/no signal at odd times.  I  have retuned several times but it makes no difference. I am in a block of flats and I believe the aerial is a communal one, there also seems to be a sky cable. I don't want sky but am wondering if freesat is the answer, as my computer guru suggests?  Can anyone offer any advice please?

Have you tried an Ariel  booster ?

What ! Washing powder ?

Most TVs have signal level screen in the menu …..check signal levels if possible , you can a high signal but low low quality ….a booster is not going to improve that .

Has your set got a built-in satellite tuner? Unlikely to get Freesat from the Sky feed, you could try.

"If you have an old Sky box and a satellite dish, you can get Freesat by buying a Freesat card from Sky. ... Call Sky on 08448 244 400, or go to Sky's site. Existing Sky Digital users can switch to Sky Freesat over the phone for no charge. HD is not available on a Sky Freesat box."

I've a TV with both Freeview and Freesat tuners built in, and the Freesat signal is far superior. I guess it depends on your aerials/dishes setup.

Same here, if anything, the Freesat HD has the edge on Freeview HD on a 55" Sony.

Edited by carosio

Thank you, I've no idea about the tuner, in fact i'm totally clueless about anything technical. I paid someone £50 to sort it out so I at least get some channels. I'll give Sky a ring. Also try and find the signal level.

Freesat tuner wil work on the old sky dish but not on a sky q dish ….

13 hours ago, Minimo said:

Thank you, I've no idea about the tuner, in fact i'm totally clueless about anything technical. I paid someone £50 to sort it out so I at least get some channels. I'll give Sky a ring. Also try and find the signal level.

If you haven't got the user instructions, google your tv's model no, specifications and that should tell you whether it's fitted with satellite tuner. Also, you would find an additional input connection near to and similar to the aerial socket, but with a screw thread on it. I might be wrong but I think it's usually the larger screen models that have sat. tuners.

Thanks Carosio, I'll try that.