1960s/1970s Jewellers

Hi!

I'm trying to put together a list of any jewellers' shops which existed in Sheffield in the 1960s/early 70s. I know I won't get all of them, but anything you can tell me would be fantastic, thank you! If anyone knows where I can find information about jewellers, like trade directories for Sheffield in the 1960s/70s, that would also be awesome! Thanks!

I'm elbow deep in family history research, and looking for any information I can find about a grandfather who was a jeweller in the early 70s.

Thank you!!

I had a Saturday job at Paragon Jewellers in the 60's. It was situated on the corner opposite what was Debenhams. I think it eventually closed and another jewellers opened up there, maybe Samuels but I'm not sure.

Does anyone remember the jewellers  Edwin McKenzie? Think the shop was on Snig Hill. Not 100% sure that the details are exactly right. Also Leslie Cass on Surrey Street. Again, would welcome correction if needed. Memory is not what it was. 

Went to school with a boy called Jones whos father was a jeweller

3 hours ago, greenleaf said:

Hi!

I'm trying to put together a list of any jewellers' shops which existed in Sheffield in the 1960s/early 70s. I know I won't get all of them, but anything you can tell me would be fantastic, thank you! If anyone knows where I can find information about jewellers, like trade directories for Sheffield in the 1960s/70s, that would also be awesome! Thanks!

I'm elbow deep in family history research, and looking for any information I can find about a grandfather who was a jeweller in the early 70s.

Thank you!!

There’s Kelly’s directory, I’m sure that lists businesses.  If the Library is open in Sheffield they might have old telephone books or they could point you in the right direction to help your research.  Good luck.  

Fatorini on Barkers Pool. 

16 hours ago, Jomie said:

Does anyone remember the jewellers  Edwin McKenzie? Think the shop was on Snig Hill. Not 100% sure that the details are exactly right. Also Leslie Cass on Surrey Street. Again, would welcome correction if needed. Memory is not what it was. 

Leslie Cass also had a shop in the Wicker ran by a lady who was the caretaker at Aizelwoods flour mill next to what is now called the harlequin, Nursery street

Here are retail jewellers as listed in the 1973 Kelly's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham. I also have the 1959, 1963, 1965, 1971 and 1974 directories.Jewellers.jpg

20 hours ago, dsweetman said:

Went to school with a boy called Jones whos father was a jeweller

I knew Ken Jones who had a jewellers shop in the Cambridge Arcade.  He had two sons John (born 1946) and Neil (born 1948). Ken Jones was President of the Sheffield Philatelic Society when I joined in 1962.

21 hours ago, Jomie said:

Yes, Edwin McKenzie's shop was on Snig Hill until the late 1960s, then on Arundel Gate as shown above in the 1973 list.

Leslie Cass had a shop on Surrey Street (next to the Montgomery Hall) in the 1960s and 1970s - he also had other branches in Sheffield as shown in the 1973 list.

My maternal grandad Fred James was a jeweller/watchmaker in Sheffield in the 70’s. He ran a shop (he wasn’t the owner) on Middlewood Road - on the right just after the right turn down Leppings Lane.  I can find out more from my mum if it would be helpful. 

21 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I knew Ken Jones who had a jewellers shop in the Cambridge Arcade.  He had two sons John (born 1946) and Neil (born 1948). Ken Jones was President of the Sheffield Philatelic Society when I joined in 1962.

I was at school with John