Over A Quarter Of A Million For A Park Hill Flat

Guest sibon
31 minutes ago, Liv20 said:

I own a flat at Park Hill.  I am not ‘trendy’, ‘rich’, ‘posh’ or a ‘Londoner’.  I just saved up for many years for a deposit.

Hi Liv 

How is the flat? Are you pleased with it?

You can tell me to bugger off if you like, but I’m intrigued about your reasons for buying a flat there and not somewhere else.  Would you be willing to tell us why you chose Park Hill?

I worked in the area for quite a few years, while the flats were becoming quite run down. It’s nice to see them being loved back to life. Hope it goes well for you.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

So thank christ some "scumbag" "disgraceful" "greedy" private enterprise developer has taken a punt in doing them up, making them attractive,  getting them on the obvious demand filled  market and breathing some life and populus into the building once again....otherwise it would simply become one of many empty, decaying eyesores around the city.

I’m sure the council originally wanted to pull the flats down but when they were given listed building status that put a stop to their plans. It’s at the back of my mind that the council tried to appeal against the decision to stop Park Hill flats from becoming a listed building.  Probably because they would have to carry on maintaining the building.  Someone on here might know more about that though.

It probably was an easier option, because of the cost to modernise the flats, to give them to a developer.

Hopefully it will improve the area.  

36 minutes ago, Liv20 said:

I own a flat at Park Hill.  I am not ‘trendy’, ‘rich’, ‘posh’ or a ‘Londoner’.  I just saved up for many years for a deposit.

I also hope you are happy in your new home.  It will be very handy for you  if you work in the

City Centre. 

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Agree entirely.

+1

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

^^^^^^  what they said.

So thank christ some "scumbag" "disgraceful" "greedy" private enterprise developer has taken a punt in doing them up, making them attractive,  getting them on the obvious demand filled  market and breathing some life and populus into the building once again....otherwise it would simply become one of many empty, decaying eyesores around the city.

Bring on the gentrification I say.

Sick of all the horse crap about ordinary homes for the ordinary working people. Most of those said ordinary folk started choosing not to live there or moving out 30+ years ago.  Most of the ones that were left were just the type of morons who didn't deserve such accommodation after they decided to turn what was at one time an architectural revolution elevating hundreds of families out of back-to-back or almost slum like conditions into a publicly funded modern day crime ridden dump. Can't have it both ways.  

The world has moved on. I fully embrace our next generation of younger people with their much more ambitious and less backward thinking mindset. The entire world of work has changed dramatically over the past decades and even more so in the past 18 months. I'm sick of certain types of people harping on about the past and pandering to some tiny fraction of so called "real worker" class who have failed to evolve with the times. 

Things cost money. If people want better things than they need to prepare to pay for it.

Now let me be very clear before certain types of people jump all over me. I am not against the notion that everybody has the right to a roof over their head.  I am not against the notion that everybody has a right to a minimum standard of living. I am not against the notion that the state should be there to provide a basic welfare provision to its citizens. However, that certainly does not translate to some automatic right to live in a primary location in primary real estate a short hop away from the centre of town.

Well it seems to cause a lot of friction. Quite a lot of threads on Crookes and Walkley facebook groups which often degenerate into "locals" vs "incomers" buying up property and encouraging things like cafes, delis and micropubs which are not welcomed by the "locals". Similarly traditional local pubs catering to the "locals" seem to get a lot of hate from "incomers"!

13 hours ago, Liv20 said:

What's it's like to live in?

21 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I have to agree they do look awful and I also thought they needed knocking down, but I’m not sure the council can knock then down as they are a grade 2 listed building. 

I don't understand why anyone would say they look awful now. When Park Hill was run down with rotting window frames and damaged balustrades, not to mention the general aesthetic of being scruffy, it did look awful. But in my opinion, Urban Splash have done a pretty good job of making it look modern and liveable again.

19 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The world has moved on. I fully embrace our next generation of younger people with their much more ambitious and less backward thinking mindset. The entire world of work has changed dramatically over the past decades and even more so in the past 18 months. I'm sick of certain types of people harping on about the past and pandering to some tiny fraction of so called "real worker" class who have failed to evolve with the times. 

Things cost money. If people want better things than they need to prepare to pay for it.

These are good points. Whenever you read about the best cities to live in, Sheffield often seems to get overlooked. We should be up there with places like Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool. Don't we need a vibrant city center that attracts young professionals and investment? The Park Hill flats regeneration seems to be just the kind of thing we need.

57 minutes ago, bogeyman101 said:

I don't understand why anyone would say they look awful now. When Park Hill was run down with rotting window frames and damaged balustrades, not to mention the general aesthetic of being scruffy, it did look awful. But in my opinion, Urban Splash have done a pretty good job of making it look modern and liveable again.

These are good points. Whenever you read about the best cities to live in, Sheffield often seems to get overlooked. We should be up there with places like Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool. Don't we need a vibrant city center that attracts young professionals and investment? The Park Hill flats regeneration seems to be just the kind of thing we need.

Agree entirely.

I haven't been in one of the flats but from what I can see online they look really nice, and presumably have great views over the city. They certainly have a fabulous cafe/restaurant very near (South St Kitchen) and other businesses either there or coming, including an art gallery/space.

Easy links to transport, and no need to waste a load of time and energy in demolition and rebuild, which would have been a ridiculous waste of resource.

Living at Park Hill suits my personal circumstances.  I don’t own a car so being close to public transport, shops etc is important - i also need to occasionally travel for work.  I like modern architecture and there are some nice design features both retained from the original building but also from the redevelopment.  This was as close as an  opportunity to own an architect designed modern home as I would ever get.  Park Hill is also surrounded by greenery (i don’t think people realise how many trees there are to the rear or the lawns and wildflower meadows) so it does not feel in a city centre like other flats.

36 minutes ago, Liv20 said:

Living at Park Hill suits my personal circumstances.  I don’t own a car so being close to public transport, shops etc is important - i also need to occasionally travel for work.  I like modern architecture and there are some nice design features both retained from the original building but also from the redevelopment.  This was as close as an  opportunity to own an architect designed modern home as I would ever get.  Park Hill is also surrounded by greenery (i don’t think people realise how many trees there are to the rear or the lawns and wildflower meadows) so it does not feel in a city centre like other flats.

Hmmm... :huh:

I'd heard that people living at Park Hill tend not to own a car for very long... :suspect:

42 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I'd heard that people living at Park Hill tend not to own a car for very long... :suspect:

Many of them get stolen from the gated car park do they?

6 hours ago, bogeyman101 said:

I live in Newcastle and it is over a year since I last saw Park Hill Flats..  I have to agree with you they did look a lot better.  Next time I’m in Sheffield I’ll take more notice.  

On 18/07/2021 at 18:45, ECCOnoob said:

^^^^^^  what they said.

Sick of all the horse crap about ordinary homes for the ordinary working people. Most of those said ordinary folk started choosing not to live there or moving out 30+ years ago.  Most of the ones that were left were just the type of morons who didn't deserve such accommodation after they decided to turn what was at one time an architectural revolution elevating hundreds of families out of back-to-back or almost slum like conditions into a publicly funded modern day crime ridden dump. Can't have it both ways.  

Now let me be very clear before certain types of people jump all over me. I am not against the notion that everybody has the right to a roof over their head.  I am not against the notion that everybody has a right to a minimum standard of living. I am not against the notion that the state should be there to provide a basic welfare provision to its citizens. However, that certainly does not translate to some automatic right to live in a primary location in primary real estate a short hop away from the centre of town.

I agree entirely.  And looking at the flats now, against what they were 20 years ago and not anyone's first, second or even third choice of social housing, there is no comparison.  They are airy, bright, with fantastic views.  And people obviously take pride in them.