Over A Quarter Of A Million For A Park Hill Flat

Some of the revamped Park Hill flats are now on sale for over a quarter of a million pounds, both brand new and lived in. Having recently gone through some of the old Park Hill flats threads from over a decade ago, I wonder what folks make of it all now. One particular post stated 'I cannot see anyone wanting to spend up to £200,000 buying an apartment there after the site is re-developed.' That was from 15 years ago, so I appreciate inflation has naturally made property prices rise, but still. Few would've predicted needing to find the top prize on Deal or No Deal just to buy a 2 bedroom flat at Park Hill.

Those threads contained a lot of negativity (though there were folk that predicted it would do well) about the Urban Splash project and people saying the flats should have been demolished, it will never work, etc, but the naysayers appear to have been proved wrong. The project has certainly not died of death. What are your thoughts now? Is it a positive thing for the city center and surrounding area, or is it just posh housing for trendy, rich people?

it looks awfull and needed knocking down,it seems this council keeps the tat,but knocks down or neglects the nice 1900s stuff ect.

Suppose the market dictates the price.

Glad the development is working.

Hopefully rest of the scheme can continue

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

it looks awfull and needed knocking down,it seems this council keeps the tat,but knocks down or neglects the nice 1900s stuff ect.

I like how it looks, and to knock it down would have been a dreadful waste of an existing building.

2 hours ago, bogeyman101 said:
Some of the revamped Park Hill flats are now on sale for over a quarter of a million pounds, both brand new and lived in. Having recently gone through some of the old Park Hill flats threads from over a decade ago, I wonder what folks make of it all now. One particular post stated 'I cannot see anyone wanting to spend up to £200,000 buying an apartment there after the site is re-developed.' That was from 15 years ago, so I appreciate inflation has naturally made property prices rise, but still. Few would've predicted needing to find the top prize on Deal or No Deal just to buy a 2 bedroom flat at Park Hill.

Those threads contained a lot of negativity (though there were folk that predicted it would do well) about the Urban Splash project and people saying the flats should have been demolished, it will never work, etc, but the naysayers appear to have been proved wrong. The project has certainly not died of death. What are your thoughts now? Is it a positive thing for the city center and surrounding area, or is it just posh housing for trendy, rich people?

It's a bunch of people with money to spend in the local area. Not sure why you think they might be 'posh'? Just people who might have a different accent, or different job, or different interests.

47 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I like how it looks, and to knock it down would have been a dreadful waste of an existing building.

It's a bunch of people with money to spend in the local area. Not sure why you think they might be 'posh'? Just people who might have a different accent, or different job, or different interests.

I was playing devil's advocate a little bit. I imagine there are people who would regard the new flats as being a bit posh, especially as it was all social housing previously, but I don't necessarily think that myself. I'm interested to hear what other people think, especially any who were of the 'knock the bloody thing down' persuasion, but might have changed their mind. 

I actually think the complex looks quite nice, it's certainly very colourful. I can see why they were often called an eyesore towering over the city, but not now. To me they just look like a modern apartment building that you might find in a big city anywhere in the world. The problem many people seem to have is that they can't separate the old from the new. If the original project had never existed and the building had been put up from scratch, I doubt many would say much about it.

'Park Hill flats get demolished' - 'what a waste - we need quality accommodation in the city centre'  - 'grrrrrr who made this decision'

'Park Hill flats get a stylish revamp' - 'what a waste - they needed demolishing' - 'grrrrrr who made this decision'

Welcome to 2021.......

Lots of advantages of a high-rise flat- there should be some cracking views of the city, possibly cleaner air, good insulation, low maintenance. Obvious disadvantages, too.

You can’t polish a turd …..but you can roll it in glitter !

From someone I know who has dealing with Park Hill flats.

He tells me that a lot of the sales are not from actual buyers for a live in residence (trendy rich people) but from investors buying them to let out.