How Do I Get Rid Of Weeds Permanently?

Ive used no end of weedkiller this year like Weedol etc ; They promise to get rid of weeds in “ 24 hrs” but they always come back after a few weeks. I’m in a gardening group on Facebook and have asked the same question. Ive had some good replies including :

Pour boiling hot water on them.

Pour white vinegar on them.

Mix together Bicarbonate of Soda and white vinegar.

Ive just poured some boiling hot water on a small patch to leave for a few days to see what happens, and if that doesn’t get rid of them, it’s onto bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar. 
Meanwhile has anyone else got any more tips for removing weeds permanently? ( Well at least for the rest of the year)

Dig them up by the roots, but nothing is permanent.

45 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Dig them up by the roots, but nothing is permanent.

Unfortunately because of a bad back this is not possible. Also because of very large gardens back and front there are just too many of them.

If you're getting loads of white vinegar in, another possibility is vinegar + salt + washing-up liquid. AIUI, the vinegar and salt are the destroyers, the washing-up liquid to keep it bound to the weeds.

Suggested mix (scale as appropriate):

• Vinegar        1gallon (4.5L)
    Salt                1 cup     
    WUL            1 tablespoon
  • Like 1

Was it ever thus?!

The only advice I can give is what I had success with, but as Jim wrote above, you'll not "win" forever!

I bought some black weed-control fabric and covered all the problem areas with it, before covering it with umpteen bags of wood chip/bark to a depth of 2-3".

(I can't remember whether deeper than that is recommended, or whether that was my choice - a bag doesn't go very far!)

The weeds below - most of 'em, anyway - get wiped because of lack of sunlight etc., but of course over time you'll get new ones on the top....but at least they can only root down so far, so are easy to pull.

i love the idea of wood chippings /but they need topping up each year,i made a great sitting area with the black liner and a ton bag of gravel and its not expensive that covers about 16 square yards,

On 17/07/2021 at 10:23, bassett one said:

i love the idea of wood chippings /but they need topping up each year,i made a great sitting area with the black liner and a ton bag of gravel and its not expensive that covers about 16 square yards,

I also like the idea of wood chippings but the weeds are just going to come back the year after.

I used contaminated petrol on some sting nettles.    They died off within a few hours.    Just don’t smoke while doing it 😂😂

On 15/07/2021 at 17:15, pattricia said:

Ive used no end of weedkiller this year like Weedol etc ; They promise to get rid of weeds in “ 24 hrs” but they always come back after a few weeks. I’m in a gardening group on Facebook and have asked the same question. Ive had some good replies including :

Pour boiling hot water on them.

Pour white vinegar on them.

Mix together Bicarbonate of Soda and white vinegar.

Ive just poured some boiling hot water on a small patch to leave for a few days to see what happens, and if that doesn’t get rid of them, it’s onto bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar. 
Meanwhile has anyone else got any more tips for removing weeds permanently? ( Well at least for the rest of the year)

Patricia , just seen an old thread you started years ago about a Weed Wand . Was it any good ?  Was it worth buying ? Asking because my lad has a lot of block paving and is having a problem with weeds 

On 29/06/2023 at 21:19, hackey lad said:

Patricia , just seen an old thread you started years ago about a Weed Wand . Was it any good ?  Was it worth buying ? Asking because my lad has a lot of block paving and is having a problem with weeds 

Never bought one but still struggling with weeds.

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Never bought one but still struggling with weeds.

Ok 👍 . Cheers mi dears .