Banner Pop Up Ads

5 page thread on the subject HERE

54 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Why's there a recurrent opaque band popping-up across the footer of SF page displays?

Yes, there's an 'X' on the RHS to remove it; but it keeps returning.

No, I'm not done anything to make it. Can we make it not so, however?

It's a pop-up ad. Your ad blocker is stopping the ad itself but the pop-up container for the ad is part of the forum page. The band you're seeing the pop-up container.

22 hours ago, altus said:

It's a pop-up ad. Your ad blocker is stopping the ad itself but the pop-up container for the ad is part of the forum page. The band you're seeing the pop-up container.

The band ought to be, er, banned.

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The band ought to be, er, banned.

Hmmm... :huh:

You can't just go around banning things willy-nilly Mr Jeffrey...

... well, not now you're no longer a mod you can't! ;)

On 15/07/2021 at 14:12, alchemist said:

There are ads at the top, ads on the side and ads at the bottom.  Now the ads at the bottom are getting covered by the extra pop up ads!!!!  Soon the entire page will be one mass of ads, somewhat like the Star webpage

My thoughts exactly.  The part that we actually want to read will end up the size of a postage stamp. 

14 minutes ago, Dales said:

My thoughts exactly.  The part that we actually want to read will end up the size of a postage stamp. 

Having read some of the more recent threads, I would think a postage stamp would be more than adequate... :roll:

The bottom ad is not too bad when viewing on a mobile phone but when viewed on a tablet or the computer it is so intrusive.

7 minutes ago, kidneystone said:

The bottom ad is not too bad when viewing on a mobile phone but when viewed on a tablet or the computer it is so intrusive.

And it's a pain when you're replying to a post.

7 hours ago, Longcol said:

And it's a pain when you're replying to a post.

As I only use a laptop - cba with forums on the phone (or tablet, unless I'm forced), just moving up the screen a bit solves most problems, but there is the 'X' option.

OK, it's a well known fact us Brit's don't like change,

But, come on SF the Pop up Ads at the bottom of the page are so bloody annoying and intrusive.

Surely after you've X'd the ad's off the first time in each session that should be it.

Having to X the ad every time you go to the next page or change subject is just plain silly.

Time to listen to us contributors SF.

(Why are they not on my Amazon Fire?)

(Not that I want the bloody things)

... I don't think anyone's listening! :shakes:

It looks like all the efforts made to get the forum back on it's feet might have been a waste of time.

Like I said in an earlier post, the vast majority of 'visitors' don't log into the forum so they don't really care how 'inconvenient' the ads might make it to post...

... yet I suspect these are the users that are actually 'paying the bills'.

But if you drive away those active members who contribute to the forum by posting, then even those who don't log in will have no purpose to visit!

Come on SF, get a grip and listen to your posters...

... we all know from previous experience what happens when you begin to lose their trust! :(

On this page I have the same four adverts for a Toyota Corolla.

I am usually on the I'm Bored section of the forum  regularly but since the bottom ad has been here I've not wanted to even look at SF.