Banner Pop Up Ads

Why have I suddenly started to get pop up google ads? If this is the way forward I would rather leave the Forum.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Why have I suddenly started to get pop up google ads? If this is the way forward I would rather leave the Forum.

I've  noticed that as well.  We've just bought a new vacuum cleaner via the Internet so I'm now getting inundated with ads for vaccum cleaners. 

These smart AI logarithms aren't that smart that they don't realise that we've purchased a vaccum so we probably won't be needing another for at least another 10 years. 

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The forum is a free service for contributors and readers meaning the owners will need to generate income to finance the running costs.  Would you rather pay a subscription fee if it enabled no pop up ads?

There are ads at the top, ads on the side and ads at the bottom.  Now the ads at the bottom are getting covered by the extra pop up ads!!!!  Soon the entire page will be one mass of ads, somewhat like the Star webpage

You can hit the X to get rid of them but as soon as you go to another page, up they pop again. Very intrusive and poor.

There's adverts?

Hi all - we're testing a new ad placement to support the forums ongoing hosting and development costs.

Happy to receive feedback here (was going to create a topic!) - my thoughts are it's quite small and at the bottom of the page so shouldn't be too intrusive.

Would appreciate if you gave it a chance so we can see how it performs and how you feel about it after a bit of bedding in time.

Posted (edited)

The feedback is that it is a load of intrusive crap, won't mince my words. Get rid of it. Not going to get any better with time, already sick of hitting the X to clear it down each time.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The feedback is that it is a load of intrusive crap, won't mince my words. Get rid of it. Not going to get any better with time, already sick of hitting the X to clear it down each time.

I will second that. I am slowly getting fed up with the changes that are coming to the forum.

If it popped up on every 5th page you visit or something like that, it would be a sensible compromise.

Very annoying, especially for regular users who look at more than one topic.  My ad-blockers remove them, but I'm left with white space, meaning that the bottom post (usually the most recent, and therefore the one you want to read) is invisible. 

A huge amount of space on top of the forum is taken up by the "Portrait Artist of the year" ad - far bigger than the red part - that could easily be halved and the other used for ad's instead.  Another problem with that area is if you leave your cursor there by accident, the post you were on goes and you are left with the posts on Portrait Artists - also annoying.

Yes, I'll give is some time, but the above and the length of time new scan posts stay up before being taken down are certainly making the forum less attractive to me.

51 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Very annoying, especially for regular users who look at more than one topic.  My ad-blockers remove them, but I'm left with white space, meaning that the bottom post (usually the most recent, and therefore the one you want to read) is invisible. 

A huge amount of space on top of the forum is taken up by the "Portrait Artist of the year" ad - far bigger than the red part - that could easily be halved and the other used for ad's instead.  Another problem with that area is if you leave your cursor there by accident, the post you were on goes and you are left with the posts on Portrait Artists - also annoying.

Yes, I'll give is some time, but the above and the length of time new scan posts stay up before being taken down are certainly making the forum less attractive to me.

I agree with you..What does Portrait Artist of The Year mean ?