Is Kelham Island Becoming Overdeveloped?

Looking at this story from The Star, it appears that what attracted people to the live in the area in the first place, being part of a population living  in a post-industrial, is now being lost with current residents now opposing new developments. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/bittersweet-decision-as-sheffield-tools-business-sells-to-housing-developer-3305964

As the piece states, even the Kelham Island Tavern is to be swamped by nearby developments, many of which are for short-term lets. 

I must admit, the last time I was down that way, it was less like a post-industrial, historic area & more like it was becoming a bog standard, housing estate.   I'll give it 20 years until it becomes another inner city slum with associated problems? 

It's only the same as people moving into town, moaning that there is new developments springing up and too much noise and pollution... like hello, why move into the middle of town if you wanted a quiet life style...

Baffles me!

• Like 1

If Kelham Island gets any bigger it will be joining up with Hillsborough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael_N said:

It's only the same as people moving into town, moaning that there is new developments springing up and too much noise and pollution... like hello, why move into the middle of town if you wanted a quiet life style...

Baffles me!

What are we saying?  The young, trendy metropolitans & the Victorian cricketer lookalikes, tattooed down one arm are becoming NIMBY's?

Just like most of us. 

Back in 2003 when I first came to Sheffield, you visited Kelham Island for the pubs and yes,  there was a mostly industrial landscape that leant visits to the likes of the Fat Cat and KI Tavern a romantic, bygone character, but that was then and this is now.

Who is moving to Kelham Island for the quiet, industrial backstreets? It's bars, cafes, riverside nature, human-scale streets and cultural industries. It might be overly modern and faceless to some people, but not to many others who call it home, and what the area is like now offers far more to the city-centre economy than the departing industry (no offence to that industry, which deserves a good home).

I'm not sure you can describe Kelham Island in it's current form as a 'bog standard' housing estate. Areas like the Little Kelham development have some of the most distinctive architecture in the city, the hospitality offering across the area is varied and popular, and generally I think it's a well-kept collection of buildings and streets.

If you look at Upper Allen Street and up towards West Street - that is what an inner-city residential area should avoid being, in my opinion. That is an area that suffers from short-term tenancy, lack of character, lack of hospitality and modern industry. To that end, I would concede that the potential for too many short-term tenancies around Kelham Island is a concern, but it's a long way from that at present.

• Like 1

I don't really see the attraction in living there as opposed to visiting the bars and food outlets?! Still really run down, industrial (in some parts) and eerie at night. Not to mention the traffic and road pollution surrounding the area. Lets not mention parking!

A lot of the surrounding area with industrial units running up to the University roundabout are slowly getting redeveloped, and these areas will probably have not much hurdles for developers, especially as brownfield sites.

Regardless, redevelopment in place of abandoned industrial sites are welcomed. However, those businesses, and to a lesser extent residents (fewer existing in area) who have been in situ before the redevelopment I have concerns for as maybe forced out.

On 14/07/2021 at 08:51, Baron99 said:

Looking at this story from The Star, it appears that what attracted people to the live in the area in the first place, being part of a population living  in a post-industrial, is now being lost with current residents now opposing new developments. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/bittersweet-decision-as-sheffield-tools-business-sells-to-housing-developer-3305964

As the piece states, even the Kelham Island Tavern is to be swamped by nearby developments, many of which are for short-term lets. 

I must admit, the last time I was down that way, it was less like a post-industrial, historic area & more like it was becoming a bog standard, housing estate.   I'll give it 20 years until it becomes another inner city slum with associated problems? 

Hi there, 

I'm writing a feature piece for Sheffield Wire about whether Sheffield locals think Kelham Island has become overdeveloped. Would you be willing to talk any more about your thoughts? 

Feel free to dm me or contact me via email on aachristodoulou1@sheffield.ac.uk 

Many thanks, 

Anastasia 

On 14/07/2021 at 12:12, retep said:

If Kelham Island gets any bigger it will be joining up with Hillsborough.

Hi there, 

I'm writing a feature piece for Sheffield Wire about whether Sheffield locals think Kelham Island has become overdeveloped. Would you be willing to talk any more about your thoughts? 

Many thanks, 

Anastasia 

On 15/07/2021 at 11:07, S1 1DJ said:

I don't really see the attraction in living there as opposed to visiting the bars and food outlets?! Still really run down, industrial (in some parts) and eerie at night. Not to mention the traffic and road pollution surrounding the area. Lets not mention parking!

A lot of the surrounding area with industrial units running up to the University roundabout are slowly getting redeveloped, and these areas will probably have not much hurdles for developers, especially as brownfield sites.

Regardless, redevelopment in place of abandoned industrial sites are welcomed. However, those businesses, and to a lesser extent residents (fewer existing in area) who have been in situ before the redevelopment I have concerns for as maybe forced out.

Hi there, 

Many thanks, 

Anastasia 

On 15/07/2021 at 11:07, S1 1DJ said:

Hi there, 

Many thanks, 

Anastasia 

On 14/07/2021 at 14:51, Baron99 said:

No

Gentrification is awesome 

Kelham Island was where all the prozzys walked the streets and their were pimps and drug dealers on every corner

Now it's incredible especially for smaller restaurants, bars and businesses 

On 24/11/2021 at 16:28, jop21aac said:

I am fed up of the same old flats springing up, it's all becoming rather grey or rather glass pain blue. Let's get some town houses built, not the mock Victorian types that plague the streets of Sothall or Owlthorpe but ones that are modern, interesting and allow for a high standard of living. 

Kemp Town in Brighton has some glorious town houses, and like Kelham Island, is a suburb just outside of the city centre, and has some quirky bars and nightlife. Yet, it has character and a good quality of living. My mental health would be ruined if I had to live in one of these "luxury apartments" in the sky. 

15 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am fed up of the same old flats springing up, it's all becoming rather grey or rather glass pain blue. Let's get some town houses built, not the mock Victorian types that plague the streets of Sothall or Owlthorpe but ones that are modern, interesting and allow for a high standard of living. 

They’ve already built some in Kelham they look suitably “industrial”.