How Is The Waverly, Rotherham- Area For Living?

Hello honourable members !!!

I need your guidance for  buying a house in Waverly, Rotherham. I am looking for a 3/4 bedroom house. How is the Waverly area for living? I have a kid, who is going to start year 4 from September, this year. What about the school? as I am keeping eye on secondary school too. I work in Northern General Hospital. Prime concern is kid's school and then work place.  Not driving at this moment. Would be obliged If I get your suggestion.

KR

Tamjid

Edited by Tamjid

12 hours ago, Tamjid said:

Hello honourable members !!!

I need your guidance for  buying a house in Waverly, Rotherham. I am looking for a 3/4 bedroom house. How is the Waverly area for living? I have a kid, who is going to start year 4 from September, this year. What about the school? as I am keeping eye on secondary school too. I work in Northern General Hospital. Prime concern is kid's school and then work place.  Not driving at this moment. Would be obliged If I get your suggestion.

KR

Tamjid

Personally I find it over priced, given the location and the fact it sits on top of an old opencast mine... but, people who live there seem to love it!  

They even have their own community forum which may help answer some queries - Home | Waverley Web (proboards.com)

On the plus side, you're in Rotherham so will be cheaper council tax than in Sheffield. 😉

Isn't the area also a bit of a flood risk? Also the current public transport links are poor unless you schlep all the way over the railway bridge towards Woodhouse direction.

EDIT - seems to be more buses that I thought. There is the 73, 74, 74a (these three services combine to provide a half hourly peak and hourly off peak service between Rotherham and Sheffield) and X54 (hourly daytime only between Sheffield and Harthill

I would suggest its still not going to be a quick commute getting to NGH from there though.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Hi Tamjid,

I live at Waverley and I can say that it is a lovely place to live.  There is a bit of misinformation in the previous messages - Waverley is not built on an open cast mine but on the old Orgreave Coking plant. Many years before any housing was started, there was an extensive clean up of the ground to ensure that there were no contaminates.  There is an infant and junior school at Waverley and for older children, there are comprehensive schools as Brinsworth and Handsworth.  

In response to the area being a flood risk, this is incorrect as Waverley is significantly above the river, I think the author of that post may have been getting muddled with Catcliffe, which is at the bottom of the hill.  

The best suggestion would be to come and have a look at the area and see what you think but personally I'd recommend living there.

Fair enough. The point about him using public transport to get  to the NGH from there still stands, it would be a nightmare. 

On 15/07/2021 at 14:09, Beaky D said:

Hi Tamjid,

I live at Waverley and I can say that it is a lovely place to live.  There is a bit of misinformation in the previous messages - Waverley is not built on an open cast mine but on the old Orgreave Coking plant. Many years before any housing was started, there was an extensive clean up of the ground to ensure that there were no contaminates.  There is an infant and junior school at Waverley and for older children, there are comprehensive schools as Brinsworth and Handsworth.  

In response to the area being a flood risk, this is incorrect as Waverley is significantly above the river, I think the author of that post may have been getting muddled with Catcliffe, which is at the bottom of the hill.  

The best suggestion would be to come and have a look at the area and see what you think but personally I'd recommend living there.

Hi Beaky,

Thanks for the details explanation. I am going to visit the place within next few days. Good guide.

So you are ignoring all the advice about how it would be a pain to get to the NGH from there on public transport?

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you are ignoring all the advice about how it would be a pain to get to the NGH from there on public transport?

That's only coming from yourself, and your track record on advice on this thread isn't very good.

Would you rule it out on the basis of one comment about public transport on a forum?

Looks like it takes between 50mins and an hour by bus....hardly a nightmare

Edited by Bargepole23

6 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

That's only coming from yourself, and your track record on advice on this thread isn't very good.

Would you rule it out on the basis of one comment about public transport on a forum?

I posted all the bus routes in this thread, all he has to do is Google the timetables, they would only get him as far as Sheffield city centre and outside of peak hours (that peak for normal workers, not NHS ones) they become hourly.  And one of the routes doesnt operate outside daytime at all.

So its his call really, I am sure he can go and do his own research. Based on my own research I would say that if I had to rely on public transport to get to the NGH I would be looking at somewhere either a bit nearer, or better linked. Suspect the OP only wants nice comments though that back up his desire to move there.

An hour on a bus (involving a change in town) before and after a long shift in a hospital, cant be ideal. May be more than an hour depending on what time of day it is.

The bit about the flood risk is fair comment, I hold my hands up there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Looks like it takes between 50mins and an hour by bus....hardly a nightmare

I would literally wake up in a cold sweat at the mere suggestion of a 50 min bus ride, twice a day.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I would literally wake up in a cold sweat at the mere suggestion of a 50 min bus ride, twice a day.

And that might be 50 mins during peak when the Waverly service is half hourly. The OP works in a hospital, hospitals arent exactly known for their convenient shift times.

Edited by HeHasRisen