Should I Buy A Breadmaker?

8 hours ago, jane2008 said:

Agree with Magneteer.

Same as the toastie maker, the smoothie maker, the potato ricer. the George Foreman grill.  All in the back of the cupboard.

Convenience  is just too convenient.

I’ve had all these things like Jane which are now stuck in the back of the cupboard. Trouble is charity shops don’t accept electrical goods so they are going to be there forever.

I thought I could be rid of all the gadgets that filled up the cupboards as kids have bought houses.

All they wanted was what I wanted to keep, the multimix, the slow cooker, yogurt maker and pasta machine,

-so they got new ones.

Happily as all the gadgets, linen were boxed and ready to go -they've gone! 

It's like having a new kitchen!

I must comment on the ricer.  What is the point of making home made Smash? 

No ones mentioned the Soda Stream.

Goblin Teas maid or coffee peculator.

Happy Daze. 

keep safe bake responsibly. 

Cid, 

Do what Sibon advises in post No2. Nothing to lose.

Get yourself a 1.5kg bag of bread flour £2, and some sachets of Allinson's 'time saver' yeast very cheap, both from Tesco, and a decent size plastic mixing bowl from Wilkos. I use a decent size casserole dish to bake the bread in-AKA a Dutch oven.

For slicing bread, get yourself a small narrow German made  Fiskars knife, which is  perfect.  What'a not to like☺

Edited by Janus
Typo

I used to use mine weekly, then the fad drops.  

I much prefer trying different loaves at various artisan bakeries.  A new Polish one has opened near me and the bread is delcious.

Bought a Panasonic one a few years ago because I wanted fresh, warm bread and I hate cooking.  Use it once or twice a week.  It's no fuss: flour, salt, sugar, water and butter in the pan, yeast in the dispenser.  Hit go.  You have crispy bread a few hours later. 

It also makes cakes, jam (never tried it) and some deliciousness called 'rustic scone' to which you can add stuff like sultanas, treacle or chocolate chips.

Investigate before buying - apparently some are easier to clean than others. Mine's a delight, and I'm extremely lazy.

Essential gadgets: coffee maker, bean grinder, powerful blender that crushes ice with ease.

Non-essential gadget: juicer.

The bread maker's not particularly essential and depending on your commitment to freshly baked bread and whether or not the one you buy is a pain to use or clean, it might very well end up gathering dust.

Apparently there are lots of breadmakers in the backs of kitchen cupboards so one strategy might be to borrow one from a friend to see if you like it.

19 hours ago, altus said:

pattricia's comment about slicing bread is worth considering - home made bread doesn't come pre-sliced. If you're not already used to slicing bread you might want to try buying unsliced loaves for a week or two to see if can put up with having to slice it yourself.

you can buy loaf tins in many sizes, so you can probably bake your bread in slices. Even if you use a traditional size loaf there seem to be all sorts of gadgets to help you slice it so i'm not sure that should be a show stopper

Edited by andyofborg

12 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

you can buy loaf tins in many sizes, so you can probably bake your bread in slices.

You might want to be a particular fan of crusty bread to do this.

12 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

you can buy loaf tins in many sizes, so you can probably bake your bread in slices. Even if you use a traditional size loaf there seem to be all sorts of gadgets to help you slice it so i'm not sure that should be a show stopper

In the first post El Cid said "I like convenience". Whilst slicing bread with a bread knife isn't difficult it's still less convenient than using ready sliced bread. I only mentioned it in case it would be important to El Cid.

I get hungry Everytime I read this thread.

I was going to say don't buy the cheapest ones as the loaf is too small .

That one you posted looks very good