Should I Buy A Breadmaker?

I like fresh bread, when I buy bread I buy on healthiness and freshness, not price.

Maybe making your own bread is cheaper?

These days I buy low carb bread, which is why I am concidering a bread maker.

I am not into cooking and I like convenience .

Good idea?

Guest sibon
Just now, El Cid said:

I like fresh bread, when I buy bread I buy on healthiness and freshness, not price.

Maybe making your own bread is cheaper?

These days I buy low carb bread, which is why I am concidering a bread maker.

I am not into cooking and I like convenience .

Good idea?

They are ok, EC. But a big mixing bowl and a loaf tin will be loads cheaper and make nicer bread. Plus, you get the pleasure of kneading it.

Maybe invest in those first to see how you get on. If you don’t like the faff, you can buy a bread maker later. You can still use the bread tin to bake in. 

I bought one years ago but only used it a couple of times. I liked sliced bread but it’s not easy to do this with bread made in a bread maker.

The novelty will soon wear off and it will finish up in a cupboard along with the juicer and the pasta maker etc. I think with the amount of use mine got, it worked out at about £10 per loaf.

1 minute ago, Magneteer said:

The novelty will soon wear off and it will finish up in a cupboard along with the juicer and the pasta maker etc. I think with the amount of use mine got, it worked out at about £10 per loaf.

Agree with Magneteer.

Same as the toastie maker, the smoothie maker, the potato ricer. the George Foreman grill.  All in the back of the cupboard.

Convenience  is just too convenient.

21 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Agree with Magneteer.

Same as the toastie maker, the smoothie maker, the potato ricer. the George Foreman grill.  All in the back of the cupboard.

Sorry got to disagree, my bread maker goes into action 2-3 times a week producing lovely bread, sliced by an electric knife. Electric steamer provides healthy veg to accompany meat and/or other veg cooked on a health grill sometimes with mashed potatoes via a ricer or jacket potato via microwave. My sons bought my breadmaker because I hated having to freeze bread whilst shielding during the pandemic and I love the luxury of a variety of fresh breads

Edited by catmiss

Had one 4 years, used every week. No additives, don't bother with added salt. If you buy quality flour, especially the malted variety, the taste is fantastic, takes 10 mins to load up.

Really fresh bread is one of life's little luxuries and if that is important to you you should consider baking your own bread whether by machine or hand made.

pattricia's comment about slicing bread is worth considering - home made bread doesn't come pre-sliced. If you're not already used to slicing bread you might want to try buying unsliced loaves for a week or two to see if can put up with having to slice it yourself.

Remember you will have to clean the thing's 'tin' and mixing palette, not difficult but still something extra to do.

Having a bread making machine is not more convenient than popping to the local shop for a sliced loaf. Only get one if you really want that fresh bread taste.

Also worth noting that if you have a food mixer with a dough mixing attachment, you could save money buy just buying a bread tin.

Breadmakers are magical.

To be able to have a warm loaf on demand .

The cleaning is absolutely minimal too.

Guest sibon
57 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Agree with Magneteer.

Steady on now.

My potato ricer is extremely important. You  can’t make proper mash without one. No matter how hard you try.

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

Steady on now.

My potato ricer is extremely important. You  can’t make proper mash without one. No matter how hard you try.

My apologies Sibon

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

My apologies Sibon

😀