Did Southgate Get It Wrong

I've said my ten peneth, but my god the beeb are really taking the mik,  talk about milking it, :gag:,  OK we lost  a very important game which infact as gave us a break from Covid Covid Covid,  I just wish this beeb milking situation isn't going to go on as long as the Covid saga,  my god!  whats it going to be like if we get to finals of the World Cup and lose on Penalties, jeeps,  :roll:

Edited by PRESLEY

23 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

I was 8 for the World Cup Final in '66. Doubt I'll last another 55 years till the next one 🙂.

I don't think you will need to mate.  We nearly won the Euros yesterday with a young side and squad.  They'll still be a young side next year, and most will probably at the peak of their powers four years later.

17 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It did fool the keeper because it sent him the wrong way.  He does the same little jig when taking penalties for Manchester United.

OK, i'll stand corrected (but don't let it happen again)

But, in my defense I did say I knew bugger all about foot ball !

So the goalkeepers gone the other way, isn't the idea to kick the ball in the open space he no longer occupies.

Told you, I'm Lost, too complicated for me :rolleyes:

Keep safe

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

BBC news,reporter outside hotel said John Stones bags just come out,it had his name on it.

Italy were the best side throughout the tournament, England progressed through the easier side of the draw, technically we are still behind, not just Italians but France, Belgium and Spain too, I do think Gareth Southgate had no plan B and unfortunately sitting too deep after the early goal against opposition of that quality meant Italian possession and pressure built, and quietened the home crowd, everyone could see what was coming.

Earlier positive substitutions and a braver approach would have been my way but the fear of changing things and losing seems to get in the way of Southgates approach  I hope he can change that but not sure he will, taking a risk of losing the game in open play by being a bit more adventurous has to be worth a try, we have the players, and when you look at our record when it goes to penalties, it's a no brainer for me.

25 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

OK, i'll stand corrected (but don't let it happen again)

But, in my defense I did say I knew bugger all about foot ball !

So the goalkeepers gone the other way, isn't the idea to kick the ball in the open space he no longer occupies.

Told you, I'm Lost, too complicated for me :rolleyes:

Keep safe

Hmmm... :huh:

... indeed it is!

But as anyone who's tried it will know...

... it's far more difficult and there's a lot more skill involved in hitting that bit of wood that's sticking out of the ground! :D

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... indeed it is!

But as anyone who's tried it will know...

... it's far more difficult and there's a lot more skill involved in hitting that bit of wood that's sticking out of the ground! :D

Now I'm totally lost Mr Bloke.

but it probably explains why the players get paid £1000's of pounds a week to miss open goal mouths by a good 20yds.

See I'm learning all the time.

I like Sheffield Forum, its so informative Thank you. :bigsmile:

The best football sides have the majority of possession and the bulk of the play in the opponents half of the field.

We are way off achieving this ,although for the first time in a while we seem to have the players who could compete in a more entertaining way.

I don’t think that Southgate will ever use our players to the best effect.

OK we got the perfect start , but then were run ragged at the end of the first half and for the whole of the second half.

The final of a major tournament and Southgate was prepared to see the team lose all shape under the Italian onslaught.

Mancini has done with the Italian team what we need from an England manager.

Had we won on penalties it would have been a complete travesty,as only one side went for a win within 90 minutes.

Our strength has been our ability to be strong in defence and not concede silly sloppy goals and by en large its worked for us, but we failed to deal with a cross into the box and then didnt react positively to that, Pickford couldnt deal with the it, and Kane  slow to react to the danger on the line. Weve had two shots on target which is fine if they both go in the net. Italy have steamrollered us after the break, for 25 minutes and that pressure was bound to pay off, unless of course we deal strongly with that pressure, we didnt.

MOM for me was Declan Rice, Ive barely noticed the kid the whole tournament until last night, that kid had a stormer, he was allover the pitch winning headers and tackles and making forward passes to relive the pressure, when he came off after 70 minutes he was covered in sweat, hed given everything in that time and looked shattered.

5 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Saka should have taken the 1st pen,not as much pressure,I had have Shaw take one and Henderson not players who had not touched the ball.

I'm sorry but Pogba took a penalty for Man Utd and took a right hammering from the media,Rashford deserves some stick too.

Get a grip.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Get a grip.

Why?

6 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Why?

It was a penalty - people miss them. He's scores a few for United in a similar way.  

14 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

Our strength has been our ability to be strong in defence and not concede silly sloppy goals and by en large its worked for us, but we failed to deal with a cross into the box and then didnt react positively to that, Pickford couldnt deal with the it, and Kane  slow to react to the danger on the line. Weve had two shots on target which is fine if they both go in the net. Italy have steamrollered us after the break, for 25 minutes and that pressure was bound to pay off, unless of course we deal strongly with that pressure, we didnt.

MOM for me was Declan Rice, Ive barely noticed the kid the whole tournament until last night, that kid had a stormer, he was allover the pitch winning headers and tackles and making forward passes to relive the pressure, when he came off after 70 minutes he was covered in sweat, hed given everything in that time and looked shattered.

I'd agree with that, and up to final, Southgates pragmatic approach worked - we've played 7 and conceded 2 - and they came from set pieces. 

But rice was brilliant.