Did Southgate Get It Wrong

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It was a penalty - people miss them. He's scores a few for United in a similar way.  

I'd agree with that, and up to final, Southgates pragmatic approach worked - we've played 7 and conceded 2 - and they came from set pieces. 

But rice was brilliant.

He skipped up and missed like Pogba did for Man U,agree with Rice though.

4 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

He skipped up and missed like Pogba did for Man U,agree with Rice though.

And jorgino (spelling?) did against Spain and score - pickford saved his last night. 

Compared with the shower who played Iceland five years ago this side were brilliant,  in my book they didn't lose last night,   rubbish remarks ect should be aimed at the thugs who stormed certain  entrances,  hope the Police study the CCTV Cams and Jail the culprits, no fines, BANG EM UP. 

Every one seems to want to blame Southgate but he did not take the penalties. You can only blame the person who took the penalty for missing it. Anyhow if he did get it wrong all of Europe will praise him.

2 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Every one seems to want to blame Southgate but he did not take the penalties. You can only blame the person who took the penalty for missing it. Anyhow if he did get it wrong all of Europe will praise him.

We had 4 opportunities to stop the goal that lead to penalties, didnt take any of them, thats where we lost the tournament.

But hindsights a wonderful thing.

Hopefully weve learned something from last night and we use that in Qatar and go one step further.

47 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I don't want to blame any of them. It's elite sport, the opposition will be equally as skilled and determined and physically capable. Anyone on this thread saying they'd have done this n that and why didn't England just outplay Italy....as uninformed as I am about what it takes.

Every player on that pitch gave all the effort and skill they had. In the end it comes down to a few moments of good fortune.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  The players with the help of good management ensured they made a major final which unfortunately they lost to the better team on penalties. In the past England teams have gone out of tournaments too  early because they haven't beaten lesser teams such as Iceland. Even at the last World Cup the England side failed to beat Croatia in the semi final which at the time I thought was a missed opportunity.

Just for completeness, it is not only the yobs who stormed the Wembley entrance and those who caused trouble in Trafalgar Square who have embarrassed the nation, it's the English fans who  continue to boo the opposition teams national anthems at all England games who heap shame on our great nation.

Couldn't agree more, every move forward this nation makes in these situations, these mindless Yobs push the Nation back.  

So Pogba didn’t get crucified by the media for twirling before he took his pen,no one dare criticise Rashford.

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

And jorgino (spelling?) did against Spain and score - pickford saved his last night. 

53 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

So Pogba didn’t get crucified by the media for twirling before he took his pen,no one dare criticise Rashford.

I didn't see the critisism to be honest. I saw him get plenty of stick - deserved stick - for not tracking back.

Edited by tinfoilhat

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  The players with the help of good management ensured they made a major final which unfortunately they lost to the better team on penalties. In the past England teams have gone out of tournaments too  early because they haven't beaten lesser teams such as Iceland. Even at the last World Cup the England side failed to beat Croatia in the semi final which at the time I thought was a missed opportunity.

Just for completeness, it is not only the yobs who stormed the Wembley entrance and those who caused trouble in Trafalgar Square who have embarrassed the nation, it's the English fans who  continue to boo the opposition teams national anthems at all England games who heap shame on our great nation.

I agree!

To top it off the behaviour of the fans will pretty much ensure we won't be hosting a world cup any time soon.

Before the tournament started, Southgate said he would consider it to be a failure in his part if we didn't get as far as the semi's.  We'll in that respect, we over-achieved then, only loosing on pens to a side who were on a 33 undefeated run, who had been scoring for fun in the tournament & conceding few.  I said it before in another thread, that I considered us the underdogs, despite playing at Wembley, for this game. 

Yes, it was frustrating that we were defending too deep, inviting some  of the football world's most talented players to attack.  Yes, we didn't capitalise & put enough pressure on their yellow carded defenders.  Yes, we could have done more but not much against more experienced players.  If only that cross in the later stages could have been met by Stones, then things might have ended differently?  

Kane was disappointing, (again), can't understand why he plays so deep?  Others have come on in leaps & bounds, Sterling, Rice, Shaw, Maguire - he played out of his skin & what a great penalty, no messing about. 

Along the way we despatched a few good teams, including the Germans.  Overall, we had a better tournament than even I thought we would.  (I had £20 of the French to win it). 

So did Southgate get it wrong?  No he didn't.  Those who stepped up for the initial 5 pens were the ones who performed best in training & WANTED to take them.  Southgate pretty much said so in his post match comments.  The likes of Grealish hasn't taken a pen for the last 18 months apparently & he missed his last one.  I remember Paul Ince coming in for similar criticism years ago when he failed to step up. 

Roll on the World Cup. 

Edited by Baron99

19 hours ago, Straighttalker said:

So yes England played well but did Gareth Southgate get it wrong.In my eyes Grealish should have been  on from the start,Luke Shaw was man of the match for me along with Pickford.So back to Southgates choices.Why take off RICE?????Why not play GREALISH from the start????Why not play CALVERT LEWIN????And why the hell would you put Rashford and Sancho on with a minute to play when they've hardly played all tournament???And lastly Please Everyone DO NOT BLAME SAKA who may I say as played fantastic, for something that Gareth could have avoided had he put out a team that could have won ITALY in normal time.Your previous choices may have got you to the final Gareth but I think you underestimated the Italians,and if you chose wiser it could have been a very different outcome.???

Luke Shaw was immense first half , second half Italy changed formation and Luke Shaw disappeared .  Italian manager did what a good manager does and changed/adapted formation . Southgate did not .